Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Using $ Include

When using $ Include, is there someway in CD to pass a unique identifier to the Included file from the parent file that can then be displayed in/by the included file?

Tim Jones
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

my gut told me no, and since nobody responded, I'm going to say probably no.

Can you tell us what you're trying to achieve and maybe we can suggest an alternate way of doing things?

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Unrelated, but it would be cool to be able to use a magic name in the include statement. This didn't seem to work a couple of betas ago (2.0.3 perhaps?) and I don't know if it's still an issue. I maybe blowing smoke, but the first time I tried it, only a file path sort of name worked.

Phillip Harrington
Thursday, July 03, 2003

Mark,

I have a calendar and booking/order 'section' that are shared across several pages on a new site I'm building. I wanted to have the code in only one place (not a variable as the end customer needs to be able to easily edit them with FrontPage) and somehow add a unique identifier for each property to display within them.

It needs to be within the common code chunks as there are form based emails that need to fire with the relevant property names in them.

I'm just trying to make overall maintenance as easy as possible for the client.

Any ideas most gratefully accepted. Maybe Javascript, but I'm not sure how yet.

Tim Jones
Thursday, July 03, 2003

Tim, I do an event calendar or actually several on this site:

http://tk-jk.net/euphonic/

I update the site myself. I'd have a hard time showing someone else how to do it. I'm always looking for a simpler way to do it if you find one.

It's based on John Conner's template (thanks yet again John.)

tk
Saturday, July 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home