Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk just ate two of my articles

So, I guess this is a showstopper bug report.

Unfortunately, I was working away from a net connection, so I couldn't use the auto-bug-submission feature. IIRC, it was a property set that went awry.

I was editing an article, so that wound up being toast. Irritatingly enough, another article that I wrote a day ago also went poof as well.

Here are two suggestions:

(1) To support nomadic users like myself, would it be possible for you to add a feature so that bug reports would be stored offline, and then transmitted back to the mothership when a network connection becomes available?

(2) Why not upgrade to MSDE in the future? While I have no evidence to support this, I was quite concerned that *another* article went poof. I could sort-of accept my current article going poof, but not the other one.

Fortunately, I can recover the other article from my published site, but not the one that I was editing.

-John
http://www.iunknown.com

John Lam
Tuesday, December 04, 2001

When you say an article went poof -- specifically what did you see?

E.g. -- Was it an article that you had saved that suddenly disappeared from the main tree? (In which case, please email your .CTY file to info@fogcreek.com so we can study it) That would be a database bug.

Or was it that the article window, while you were editing, suddenly disappeared, and you had never saved? That would be a UI bug.

As for MSDE -- we did not consider this because of the significant additional SETUP complexity for many users and the huge distribution size. I believe that it should be possible to upsize CityDesk files to SQL Server using the MS Access Upsize Wizard (leaving links to the upsized tables in the .CTY file). I haven't really tried this so Your Mileage May Vary. If I get it to work I'll write an article with step-by-step instructions.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, December 04, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home