Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Problem With Lists?

Whenever I create a list in CityDesk, the tags come out messed up. I end up with something like this in my output page:

<UL>
<LI>Item One
<LI>Item Two
<LI>Item Three
</LI>
</UL>

Shouldn't there be a closing </LI> tag for every list item, not just the last one? It still displays OK in all the browsers I've tried, but the unclosed tags bother me.

Darren Collins
Sunday, June 22, 2003

The bug me too. Dreamweaver has problems with unclosed tags.. At least unclosed TD tags.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 22, 2003

It's valid HTML without the </LI>, just not valid XHTML.

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, June 22, 2003

> It's valid HTML without the </LI>, just not valid XHTML.

Seriously? Waddaya know, it is valid

http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/struct/lists.html#h-10.2

"Both types of lists are made up of sequences of list items defined by the LI element (whose end tag may be omitted)."

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 22, 2003

Yeah, but how about some consistency? Either leave off all the end tags, or put them all on. But don't leave them off all items except the last one.

FWIW, I think it'd be neater if CityDesk included them all. It wouldn't hurt anything, and would make for cleaner and more consistent HTML (paragraph tags all get closed by CityDesk, even though the spec says it's optional).

Darren Collins
Monday, June 23, 2003

Unfortunately, it's a stupid DHTML editor bug.  If it were up to us, we would have gotten rid of it a long time ago...

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, June 23, 2003

So who is it up to?

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 23, 2003

... meaning we don't have the source to the dhtml editing component, since it's a microsoft activex control, so until we either use something else, or come up with some hacked up workaround, i'm going to blame it on microsoft :)

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, June 23, 2003

You could've said "blah blah blah, it's Microsoft's fault" and 90% of the population of the world would've followed what you were saying and agreed with it. lol.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 23, 2003

blah blah blah, it's Microsoft's fault.

:)

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, June 23, 2003

Oh. Okay, then we forgive you.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home