Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

ETA for CD 2.0 final?

This is an unfair question to ask, but I need to know.  Does anyone from Fog Creek have a "ballpark" estimate on when City Desk 2.0 may be final?

We have a project that we need to begin Real Soon Now.  I would prefer to start our City Desk experience using version 2 and obviously we don't want to use the beta stuff for production.

Any sort of thoughtful response to my question is most appreciated.

Maybe no more FrontPage for me?
Thursday, June 19, 2003

Check out the Thursday, May 29, 2003 post at http://citydesknews.com

David Burch
Thursday, June 19, 2003

Have you ever wondered why all "the old guys" seems to have left this forum (except for tk and Mark of course, they live here)? I know where they are. They are typing away in version 1 which is ok if you don't try to push it too hard.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, June 19, 2003

I still call 2.0 "1.5" I don't think I've used a single 2.0 feature since I downloaded it.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 19, 2003

I've used next and previous, modified date, checked how many files I have, named the fields in some templates and a few other things.  I'm only up to version 2.01. I'm very anxious to use thisfolder, I've got a need right now.

I'm a slow learner anyway. I think I really need to do a brand new site with CD 2. That's probably true for most folks. I have to stay in CD 1 for some customers, maybe I can get them to upgrade, maybe not.

tk
Thursday, June 19, 2003

Haven't used a single 2.0 feature? Wow! You must be struggling! While there might not be any real ground-breaking new technology in 2.0, there certainly are a lot of little improvements over 1.0. I love it.

Darren Collins
Thursday, June 19, 2003

I dunno, my current site just 'works' as is.

I'm working on a site for someone (pro-bono, hoping I can keep it under 50 files, otherwise it's back to static html) and I don't think I'll use any either...

My #1 feature want is

{$foreach x in (condition) $}

{$if (other condition) $}
<a href="{$x.link$}">{$x.headline$}<a/><br>
{$else$}
<strong>{$x.headline$}</strong><br>
{$endif$}

{$next$}

So I can get main navigation links to know where I am.

Also, I can use it to create subnavigation:

{$foreach x in (condition) $}

( main navigation)

{$if (other condition) $}

{$foreach x in (other condition) $}
<a href="{$x.link$}">{$x.headline$}<a/>
{$next$}

{$endif$}

{$next$}

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 19, 2003

I've used the include feature quite a bit.  I've also started making my thumbnails using the built-in editor which saves the time it took for Photoshop to come up.  The renaming of the template labels has also been helpful to me.

David Burch
Friday, June 20, 2003

I haven't used the built in editor much, but a batch 'create thumbnails' for every file in a folder would probably be a good way to create albums... Then again, albums are a niche thing.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 20, 2003

Everybody has a need, from time to time, to share a few photos quickly and easily.

David Burch
Friday, June 20, 2003

The photo editor is great, but I still have to use Photoshop because I nearly always want to sharpen the images as well as resize them. Any chance you could add a quick Sharpen command for CD2.0, Joel?

Darren Collins
Sunday, June 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home