Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CD Image resizer

The previous post remind me, I had a feature suggestion for CityDesk. Upon publish, it should resize images that the users have dragged. Maybe only if it's more than 10-20% bigger/smaller than the original.

It's another touch to make CD more usable. I've seen a lot of really big images on web pages that have been dragged to thumbnail size. They look like crap and they take forever to load. It makes the site look unprofessional as well.

So if CD could cleanly resize the actual published image, that would be great. Of course, this would also mean publishing different images for different pages - one for each page it was resized on, and then if there was a link to that image it would have to be full size.... but I'm sure you guys can figure it out.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

Alternately, make it a publish error if the height & width attributes of an img tag don't match the actual image.

I really don't want CityDesk messing about with my HTML.  FrontPage couldn't keep its mitts off my code, which is one of the reasons I don't use it any more.

Pat Rice
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Pat - an error would just confuse users. I'm not talking about changing the code, but changing the image. If someone takes a 500x500 pixel image and drags it to 50x50, I'd like CityDesk to generate a 50x50 image rather just publish the 500x500 image. Of course, if it's 50x50 on one page and 49x49 on another page, you might end up with dozens of versions of the same image all over the site, and that might actually cause load times to increase more than loading a single 500x500 image once.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Yes, yes. I second that request.

Mark Zeren
Monday, September 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home