Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

ALT+Tab annoyance

I'm not sure if this is your bug or not, but it sure is annoying. Discussions of how ALT+Tab should be implemented aside (<grin>), I'm noticing some odd behavior with your application.

I have CityDesk open, and an article (important fact: two top-level windows for your application). I also have Notepad open, with some text that I'm pasting in in pieces.

When I ALT+Tab from Notepad to my article, and then paste the text, then ALT+Tab to get back to Notepad, I end up in the main CityDesk window instead. It's almost like your windows have a "shared" Z-order.

Why isn't it going back to Notepad like expected?

Brad Wilson
Sunday, December 02, 2001

It's a completely weird window-ism we haven't been able to eliminate, although we'll keep working on it.  (Have you ever noticed how strange Excel's Alt+Tab behavior got when they started opening workbooks in their own windows?)

I suspect the only way to get truely independent windows is to run each window in its own process.

Joel Spolsky

I suspected it might not be you guys (people hardly ever go out of their way to play "Z-order" boss). As it turns out, I rarely ever have more than one Excel or Word window open at a time, even after they went SDI. I'll note that for the future...

Thanks!

Brad Wilson

I notice that when I paste a link into an article like ths:

I click the link button and get the link dialog box.  Then I Alt-Tab to the brower to copy the link and Alt-Tab back to CityDesk to paste the link into the dialog box.  When I do this, the Alt-Tab works exactly as want and I expect it to:  The Atl-Tab only shows one CityDesk icon.

Terry Kearns
Monday, December 03, 2001

The same process does the right thing for me.  I'm using Windows 2000--what OS are you using?

Tim Lesher
Sunday, December 09, 2001

Win 98 2nd Edition

Terry Kearns

I'm using XP, and the Alt-Tab behaviour is driving me nuts.

Garth Kidd

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home