Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Search engine and keywords

Is it possible to use the keywords you entered in the propeties page of a article for a search engine?

Like:
1. enter the keyword
2. CD will generate a html page with those keywords in the meta tag for searchengines.
3. Also use the keywords for other things like now.

Smurf975
Sunday, June 15, 2003

> other things like now.

??

I use Extra1 for keywords specific to the article, though I'm pretty sure Google ignores meta tags.

<META name="Keywords" content="{$.extra1$}">

You can also use the keywords field. The bottom line though is if it ain't on your page, putting it in the meta tags ain't gonna help.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 15, 2003

Thanks for your awnser. It solved my problem. However I'm was not going to cheat as its for my personal homepage and I don't need to attract allot of people.

Smurf975
Sunday, June 15, 2003

I didn't say you were going to cheat. I have a ton of meta tags on my page to help with search engines if they care to check them.

There are a few things that my site turns up as #1 for too, which is pretty cool.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 15, 2003

Metatags are ignored by all major search engines except Inktomi. Don't bother with them.

http://www.searchenginewatch.com/sereport/article.php/2165061

Joel Spolsky
Sunday, June 15, 2003

I figured as much. I wasn't aware as to which used it and which didn't, but that doesn't surprise me. Meta Tags are too easy to abuse.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 15, 2003

For search engine rankings, have good titles and good content.

David Burch
Monday, June 16, 2003

And for google, links from popular sites.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

I've noticed that posting here gives my name good coverage by Google.  I suppose it would be better to sign here with a website url to get better google coverage

Joel Goldstick
Monday, June 16, 2003

Google does a very poor job of spidering this site because the URL's always change.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

My friend's website turns up when you search for "new york" and her product, but she nowhere on her page does she have the words "new york" except in the meta tags.

Perhaps being added to DMOZ helped here because her site is in a regional category, I dunno.

In any case, found this interesting Google talk:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/6/23/201523/090

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home