Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CopyBoy 2.0 Beta 1

Those of you beta testing CityDesk 2.0 may wish to look at CopyBoy 2.0. I just posted the Beta 1 version at http://www.larkware.com/Products/LarkwareCopyBoy20.html . This version is (probably) feature-complete, though I sitll welcome feature requests.

You will need to have the .NET Framework version 1.1 installed before CopyBoy 2.0 will install.

I've been "dogfooding" this version on my own CityDesk file for a couple of weeks now without data loss, but PLEASE back up your CityDesk file before editing it with CopyBoy 2.0.

Those of you trying to do advanced things with CityDesk 2.0 will probably find the Edit Table section of CopyBoy especially useful. It will, for example, let you see the exact raw contents of fields like Extra1 or Sidebar, or let you see all of your variables and sort them by either name or value.

Free for now, probably $20 shareware at release (which is planned to be at or near the time of CityDesk 2.0 release).

Mike Gunderloy
Saturday, June 14, 2003

Mike,

CopyBoy has made CityDesk acceptable for my uses and I will buy it when it comes out.  I applaud your stepping in to fill the gap, but I have to wonder if Fog Creek really understands what is needed in this product.  After all, they've had plenty of chances to add CopyBoy's features but are ignoring these major deficiencies in their product.

David Burch
Saturday, June 14, 2003

David - for the time being, they know CopyBoy exists and fills a need. Why build features that already exist, even if it is in another product.

They can concentrate on the core stuff - CityScript, for example, and add these features at a later date.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, June 14, 2003

For what it's worth, many of the CopyBoy features are things that I wouldn't implement in CityDesk itself. It's the old question of how easy you want to make it for your customers to shoot themselves in the foot. My customers are the sort of folks who hang around here, expert users who know what they're doing and hopefully will shoot the ground instead. That's a different, and smaller, audience than CityDesk itself has.

I fully expect Fog Creek to skim some features off of CB 2.0 to implement in CD 3.0. But there will always be new ways to shoot yourself in the foot for me to implement :)

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, June 15, 2003

Normal Mode -> Design Mode -> Expert Mode -> Shoot Yourself In The Foot Mode =)

They could also implement a stand-alone utility that does what CB does and not tell you it exists unless you ask. If you can't find a .exe file in folder you have no business running it.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 15, 2003

What I'm talking about are features such as "Import an HTML file or a folder of HTML files on disk as articles", "convert HTML files to articles", etc. not the bulk editing of the Access database stuff.  Without CopyBoy, CityDesk would be unusable in these areas.

David Burch
Sunday, June 15, 2003

Does copyboy import and export variables?  It would be nice if it did -- even selectively.

I'm getting to like variables more and more.  I find I'm switching between projects to swipe things

Joel Goldstick
Monday, June 16, 2003

Nope, it doesn't. But it wouldn't be hard to add. Thanks for the idea!

Mike Gunderloy
Monday, June 16, 2003

Coming in beta 2: http://www.larkware.com/Products/tease3.jpg

Mike Gunderloy
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home