Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

OLD Pages on Fog Creek site AND pricing

I went to the templates page somebody mentioned and it's all old - nothing from 2003. To me, that looks B-A-D.

Also, there needs to be a mid-priced City Desk. That's quite a jump from FREE to $350.00 !!!  I came here, based on a blog entry I read, but was shocked to see so little info on use of City Desk for the web log community. For the program to be widely used by bloggers it would have to be priced around $50.....BUT.....it's good, damn good. I think you would see ten - twenty $50 for every ONE $350.00 sale. Hummmm....

Make downloadable versions available - who needs the CD? Just make it an option. The "overhead" wouldn't be that much more whether you sell one or twenty (bandwidth). You're selling DIGITS!

City Desk could be HUGE....but development is taking too long, not enough templates, not enough attention to the HUGE blogging community, the official site is full of old material which looks bad and it's too expensive.

City Desk - step up to the plate! If you wait for it to be perfect - you'll be waiting along the expressway as others zoom by.

Mike Donovan
Friday, June 13, 2003

"Also, there needs to be a mid-priced City Desk. That's quite a jump from FREE to $350.00 !!!"

There is.  The Home Edition is $79.

Jason
Friday, June 13, 2003

"Make downloadable versions available - who needs the CD? Just make it an option. The "overhead" wouldn't be that much more whether you sell one or twenty (bandwidth). You're selling DIGITS!"

We actually ONLY distribute CityDesk by download.  Sometimes people refer to CityDesk as "C.D." or CD so it may have been confusing in something you read that talked about CD (meaning CityDesk) and not compact disc.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, June 13, 2003

"City Desk could be HUGE...."

HUGE for who? In the corporate world the nearest competitor is probably eGrail which I think is like $10,000.

My gut instinct tells me that CD3 will have a blogger edition and an enterprise edition that have features that really differentiate them from each other.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 13, 2003

<quote>There is.  The Home Edition is $79</quote>

The point is that the Home Edition (500 item limit) will 'last' less than a year for most bloggers.  Less than six months if they write frequently.  After that, they gotta pay $350 to keep blogging.

However, blogging is a use suggested on the CityDesk page.

Furthermore, this $350 upgrade will eventually be needed by everyone here who is unwilling to delete older work.

Cue official response ....

Mark Major
Friday, June 13, 2003

TANSTAAFL!
"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch", for the Heinlein impaired.

(And this coming from someone who works with OSS mostly)

Wayne Earl
Friday, June 13, 2003

If you update that often, I don't think CityDesk is the best tool for you. Are you really going to wait for your 1,000+ page site to generate 10 times a day? Are you really willing to give up posting while you're way from home? Get Moveable Type and be done with it.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 13, 2003

I just bought the Professional Edition yesterday. Yes, even with the 25%-off coupon code, it was more than I wanted to spend, but I wanted the full power of CityDesk.

I've tried a LOT of "blogging" software--all FREE--but I got tired of messing around with them. The point is, CityDesk isn't just blogging software--it's a lot more powerful than that. I finally decided I wanted it enough to shell out for it.

However, I was hoping it could be purchased on CD. If anything (perish the thought!) goes wrong and my hard drive dies or has to be reformatted, I'm hosed, unless I can burn a backup to CD-ROM. I know the license allows making a backup copy, but I'm not sure my computer does.

JackHammer
Thursday, June 26, 2003

To answer my own question, I emailed Fog Creek (after I confirmed my computer can't burn a CD) and I'm happy to report they responded that I can always redownload if need be. That's good to know.

JackHammer
Saturday, June 28, 2003

Gee, if my computer had no way to reliably back up a file (CD or otherwise) I think I'd be more worried about losing my own work ...

Nick Langmaid
Friday, July 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home