Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

File cannot be read.

My site has developed a nasy problem. When I preview or publish (2.0.5) I have a message that reads 'File cannot be read. Another program may be accessing the file or City Desk may need to be restarted.'. I click OK and the process finishes. When viewed, the site is a mess - no home page, no graphics and no style sheet formatting - presumably the rest of the site is not getting published after the error.

This started after I was Previewing and, upon pressing the Preview Window button with the browser name to actually view the siite, I got a message that said the other program was busy and gave me an option to Switch To... which did nothing. I quit IE and clicked Try Again. It just keep on popping up the dialog over and over. Eventually I had to Control-Shift-Delete to force quit. I rebooted and tried again with only City Desk open. Now I get this 'File cannot be read' message. Anyone got any ideas how I can detect which file is giving the error or advice for fixing this problem??

chasInNapa
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I would suggest:

* reboot
* delete your temp directory (probably c:\windows\temp or c:\winnt\temp)
* reinstall microsoft scripting www.microsoft.com/scripting
* look for a ldb file next to your .cty file and delete it
* uninstall/reinstall citydesk
then try again...

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Hmmm... If I had to guess I'd say that wherever CityDesk publishes to before it copies the files to it's final destination has been somehow corrupted... a file locked perhaps. Maybe due to a misconfigured preview browser that locked up the files?

Michael's steps seem like the best in this course of action.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I got this sorted out. I tried some of the suggestions, and I cleared some space on the drive I was using for this project, which was getting rather full. Everything is OK again - I don't want anyone to think that CD is prone to corrupting files- I have ben using it for some time and except for this issue, it has behaved flawlessly - even the beta versions.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

chasInNapa
Thursday, June 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home