Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Weird variable editor bug

I was editing one of my variables, nothing special about it, when CityDesk suddenly disappeared.

I tried to reproduce it a few times and I think this will work. The variable editor must be of a certain width, and I think mine is the default, since I can't remember I've ever changed it. With the text below in it, the last word on the fourth line should be "<SMAL" and the first on the fifth "L>".
Follow these steps to reproduce:

1) Insert the text between the bars into a new variable.
----------------------------------------
{$foreach x in (and (not (fileName "index"))(thisFolder) (not (keywordContains "(nolist)")))$}
<H3><A href="{$x.link$}">{$x.headline$}</A>&nbsp;<SMALL>{$x.extra2$}</SMALL> </H3>
<P style="MARGIN-TOP: -15px">{$x.teaser$}<BR>{$ setDateTimeFormat "Swedish" "yyyy-MM-dd" "hh:mm" $} <SMALL>Published {$x.filedDate$}.{$ if nonblank x.extra1 $}&nbsp;Last updated {$x.extra1$}.{$ endif $}</SMALL> </P>
{$next$}
----------------------------------------

2) Select "extra2" (at the end of the fourth line) with the mouse.

3) Type "sidebar". When you hit "e" CityDesk will instantly quit.

I hope these steps will reproduce the bug, at least they do for me, every time I try.

Regards,
  Henrik Jernevad

Henrik Jernevad
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I could not reproduce it using my configuration.  But I have seen similar, hard to produce wierdness with CityDesk.

I know this won't solve your problem, but you could work around it by putting the current contents of the variable in an article and putting just the statement to include the article into the variable: {$ include "articlename" $}

David Burch
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Yeah, we know about this bug, it will be fixed in the next beta.

Basically any of the text fields, if you have word wrap turned on, will crash if you insert too much text that is unwrappable (like one word) to exceed the available width.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home