Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Beta2 and UNICODE ?

Folks,

I had the opportunity to try CityDesk 2.0 Beta 2.
It looks very promising, although I have one (important)
remark : I am still having a problem with extended UNICODE characters such like ŵ Ŵ ŷ Ŷ ẅ Ẅ (required in Welsh). Is it a known problem ? Is this supposed to work with the final release (it does with most of today's tools) ?

Phil.

Phil
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Yes, it works, even in the beta.

I tried inserting ŵ -- CityDesk converted it to a w with a caret and published it correctly.

You need to double check that your site has the UTF-8 tag in the <head>

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Hello Joel,

Thank you for your reply, you are right, it works fine if you paste the codes (&#373; &#372; &#375; &#374; &#7813; &#7812; ) in the HTML editor.

However, it would be nice if the CD editor could behave like WordPad 2000 (or MS Word 2002) or any RichEdit control in general, I mean (try it with WordPad):

- Type the code (ex 0175) then press ALT+X.

it will convert the UNICODE code into its matching character. (&#373;).

Best Regards,
Phil.

Phil
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Aha, I wasn't aware of Alt+X (and neither was the Internet Explorer team, apparently!)

We might be able to add that, but I'll consider it a "feature" not a "bug." (My assumption would be that almost everybody can enter any characters they need for whatever language they're typing by using a national language keyboard.)

Joel Spolsky
Friday, June 13, 2003

Joel, thank you for your reply : yes the ALT+X thing is a feature ! not a bug !!!

But there is in fact another issue with the UNICODE handling :

I am using (on XP) a special keyboard driver that handles UNICODE characters. For example, when I press the ¨ dead key followed by Y, it generates successfully the Y+dieresis character (Ÿ), which is an extended character (code > 255).

I have also a special key for œ and Œ and a bunch of other extended characters can be generated with our device (like the Welsh diacritics for example).

All these characters are successfully printed with all the software that come with Windows 2000/XP, MS Office, etc. But with City Desk, some are working (like œ Œ Ÿ) but other ones are failing like the wesh accented letters or the greek letters (that can not be printed).

I don't know what could be responsible for this, may be the City Desk editor « filters » the codes and only allows some sets of extended characters (Latin-A Extended, Latin B-Extended, ...) but not all sets ?

Thank you again,
Phil.

Phil
Friday, June 13, 2003

THis is facinating to me.  I never have had a need to use any characters except us-ascii, so I am totally unaware of how this all works.  Can anyone give some links to learn about the 0175 alt x  stuff you mentioned?

Joel Goldstick
Friday, June 13, 2003

Joel (2nd ...),

A good entry point:

http://www.unicode.org/faq/font_keyboard.html

Cheers,
Phil.

Phil
Friday, June 13, 2003

Where did you get the Unicode keyboard driver in question? Is it a part of XP?

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, June 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home