Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Just Say No To Server Extensions

A random aside from another thread:

"...I expect that CityDesk 3 will have some more that can differentiate it - the server side component for example."

Server side component?  That sounds like Microsoft's FrontPage Server Extensions, which makes me a little nervous.

Please tell me that CityDesk isn't going that route.

Pat Rice
Monday, June 09, 2003

Instead of server extensions, I would like to see CityScript become more powerful.  I would like CityScript to have all the basic features of a typical programming language.

I don't mind generating my own server-side PHP, ASP or whatever, if the CityScript is more powerful.

David Burch
Monday, June 09, 2003

Agreed.  It's nice that my easy-to-maintain CityDesk site can be hosted from GeoCities which gives me diddly-squat in terms of server side services/extensions.

David Blume
Monday, June 09, 2003

Hey, I noticed my page isn't listed in the citydesknews site under "Great Sites Built With CityDesk".

I could've sworn joel said publicly that it would have a server component, but I can't find where he said it.

My very uneducated guess is that a server component would help teams that were around the world, allow you to update your site from a browser, and possibly facilitate check in/check out. All of these are common requests.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 09, 2003

I have asked for version control, but it could be handled in the local database.  I'm not sure a server-based version could be made as easy to use and configure as the current CityDesk.

David Burch
Monday, June 09, 2003

Yeah, versioning was a weak one. I was hoping it would just slip by without anyone noticing.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 09, 2003

So, how is the best way for teams at different locations to use CityDesk and maintain one database? Or for that matter, one person from multiple locations?

I tried ftp'ing the .cty file up to the server and then back down to the working location, but forgot to upload it back at one point and was sorely inconvenienced.

Amos
Monday, June 09, 2003

See

"How Can Multiple Users Access CityDesk Sites Over The Internet?"

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/kb/MultipleUsersOverInternet.html

Personally I do this using Windows Terminal Services Client (now renamed Remote Desktop Connection).

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

VNC is an excellent app, though I don't know if I could do it from inside my firewall to outside or v.v.

I've already been pretty vocal on this topic, so I'll just keep quiet and assume you were listening to me in the past.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Joel:

I read your article. Here's a "real world" situation that is the problem:

A very small non-profit with a paid staff of one full-time and one part-time and a bunch of volunteers. The office is on a dial-up. The site is on a shared server with very minimal admin access. Remote access apps are not allowed, but they might install third-party apps.

Your solutions don't work in this situation. It may well be that CityDesk is not appropriate and we should just continue to use our favorite editor and ftp.

Same goes for personal use -- limited access to the shared server, etc.

Can't be all things to all persons.

Amos
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Amos: I understand your points, but you never talk about the computer with CityDesk on it. Do people outside of the office need to access CityDesk as well?

If you think CityDesk will exclude you at any time, I'm sure it won't.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home