Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Minor Nit about your choice of fonts

If you're using XP on a laptop or flat panel, chances are you've got ClearType enabled. Unfortunately, there are places in CityDesk that don't use TrueType fonts. For example, in the article editor, the Normal View and HTML View buttons at the bottom. Another place was in the feedback dialog where the feedback font was probably MS Sans Serif or some other type of non-TrueType font.

Can you *please* fix this in a future release? It's painful being reminded of what the world used to look like ... ;)

John Lam
Saturday, December 01, 2001

I'll check into it... actually I think we are fairly consistent about using MS Sans Serif in all dialogs, which used to be the "standard."

Once Michael went through and changed them all to Arial, but it looked kind of weird and wrong so I changed them all back...

Joel Spolsky
Sunday, December 02, 2001

I thought Tahoma was the standard?

Guan Yang

Tahoma didn't used to even ship with Windows. But I kind of like Tahoma, maybe we'll switch to that. I wonder if Microsoft will let us redistribute it for old computers (Win 95 et al).

Joel Spolsky

Your dialogs should be set to use "MS Shell Dlg" as opposed to "MS Sans Serif".  This meta-font setting will make Windows use the "correct" font, no matter which OS its running.

MS Shell is the default. so I'm guessing you probably changed them manually to use Arial, then changed them manually to use MS Sans Serif...

Tim Lesher
Sunday, December 09, 2001

Tim is right. Using "MS Shell Dlg" (if that's the right name; I forget right now) is rather important for internationalization, because it uses the appropriate font on international OSes. Of course, the app isn't internationalized yet, but it's something to keep in mind for if/when you do it.

Brad Wilson

oh my. OK, I'll study it.

it's more complicated than that, there's some nonsense about how you have to use MS Shell Dlg 2 on later versions of Windows if you want the Tahoma look...

Joel Spolsky

Is there any major problem with just picking up how I've defined via Control Panel > Display > Appearance exactly what fonts I want all my applications to use? :)

Garth Kidd
Monday, December 10, 2001

Well, yes, because you might choose a large font that we haven't left room for in the dialog box, and things would be cut off. Which is why almost no Windows program attempts to honor font settings. There is another thing called "Large Fonts" which is an advanced display option somewhere else, and we do honor that, because the OS gives us more pixels for our dialogs when you choose that.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, December 10, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home