Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Better CityDesk script for rss?

Joel's sample rss script loops across 10 articles and links to their permanent links.

I'd prefer to loop across the most recent three, and link to their subpage position (meaning, use the '#' intra-page locator) on the main page, then loop across the 4th newest article through the 10th, and link to their permalinks.

This also means my script that builds the main page will have to create the '#' tags before the articles included on that page.  (Which seems do-able.)

I worry about the loop across the 4th through 10th articles part though.  Is that do-able yet?

David Blume
Friday, June 06, 2003

You mean you have 3 articles on your homepage, so a link to articles 4 - 10 would have to go to a different page?

Why not link to the "perma link" for all the articles?

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 06, 2003

BTW, I think the RSS spec says 10 articles.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 06, 2003

RSS spec has varied from "maximum 15" to "unlimited" depending on the version. It's a pretty whiffly "standard".

Mike Gunderloy
Friday, June 06, 2003

Well, every RSS feed I've seen has 10.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 06, 2003

My rss script would list a total of 10 articles.  The first three would not be to the permanent links.  (Although they exist.)  The first three would be to the offsets on the home page which features them.  Articles 4 through 10 are now no longer on the home page, and exist only as permanent links.  So the rss file points to their permanent links.

The benefit of having the rss point to the incarnation of the "recent" articles on the homepage is that clients can more easily access the goodies on the home page that I intentionally don't provide on all the permanent links.

David Blume
Friday, June 06, 2003

Well a loop to bring in articles 1-3 is easy, but a loop to bring in 4-10 is difficult. Unless there's something to differentiate it. I know citydesk can do this kind of thing with dates (today -4 etc), but not a fixed number of articles.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home