I run an Intranet using CityDesk. It contains all the scripts and processes
we use. Clients call us and we hit the intranet buttons as we talk with them
to work out what to say to help them. At the end of the conversation, we
would like to send a fairly standard e-mail that has the usual attachments
confirming the conversation.

I cannot work out a way to embed such a stand email in CityDesk so that all
my operator has to do is hit a button; up pops the standard email form, he
fills in the client's email address (at an extreme modifies the text a
little) hits send and  the client has had the conversation confirmed.

We run a standard Microsoft desktop eg Outlook, Word etc.

Glen Hickey
Thursday, June 05, 2003

You should be able to do this with a properly formatted mailto url - see http://developer.netscape.com/viewsource/husted_mailto/mailto.html

One caution; this is the sort of bastardized html extension that really needs to be tested in your target browsers.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Sounds like you need a tiny bit of server side programming.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Do you mean something like this:
http://jimogiergolf.com/learnabout/EmailJim.html

On this site, the host makes aspmail object available on the server.  Likely your company intranet could have aspmail or cdonts or some other mail component.

The problem with the mailto: protocol is that you can't be sure that the user always has a mail client.  However, since this is intranet, this most likely is NOT a problem for you.  Just create a link with href="mailto://<emailAcount>@<Your Company>"

You might want to check out more about mailto.  I found this link:
http://developer.netscape.com/viewsource/husted_mailto/mailto.html

Joel Goldstick
Sunday, June 08, 2003

BUt he wanted to include 'the usual attachments confirming the conversation' so it seems like it might be a wee bit more than a simple mailto can handle.

It should be fairly trivial to create if has access to the server and has someone who knows what they're doing.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 08, 2003

Ah, but the mailto allows body text to be inserted.  I am guessing that there doesn't need to be a separate attached file if the actual message body can contain the required instructions

Joel Goldstick
Sunday, June 08, 2003

Thanks everyone ... and I really like that mailto feature; it is a good start.

Joel, I am inserting text and that works well; but as Mark said, I need to attach a file. The reason for this is that the operator conducts a dialogue with the client during a phone conversation and , as part of the confirmation process,  populates an uniquely designed Excell sheet. This sheet is sent to the client for them to review.

CityDesk is working marvellously for the Intranet and, if I could just add this icing, the system would be superb.

Glen  Hickey
Monday, June 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home