Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Can't open any cty files today

I don't really know what happened. Today I went to open city desk and I kept receiving an ActiveX error can't create object.

So, I looked on the board here and then went and reinstalled 5.6 scripting. Didn't work. The program opened but wouldn't open *any* cty files I have. They all return a not a cty file or corrupt error message. They can't all be corrupt. I have about 30 backups.

So, I uninstalled citydesk and reinstalled it. Now, when I start up citydesk it comes up with the error box to send the error immediately.

Hoc can this be?

John

John Cesta
Thursday, June 05, 2003

The error I receive is:

v1.0.31 Unknown: 1004
global: populate treeview: 1060

I've reinstalled the win2k sp3
Removed and reinstalled CD

I'm dead. :-|

John

John Cesta
Thursday, June 05, 2003

You might have a corrupt Jet installation for some reason. (Jet is a part of Windows, and CityDesk installs the bits you need, too).

Reinstall Jet from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=af693865-2bab-4ae5-b001-42840473ef39&DisplayLang=en

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Yea, I think while I removed a program I answered yes to remove all *shared* dlls.

I was click happy. :(

John

John Cesta
Friday, June 06, 2003

Is it better?

Joel Spolsky
Friday, June 06, 2003

Yup, Joel it is. I reinstalled the MDAC and Jet stuff and it works perfect again.

I definitely messed it up. I found some other apps I had that worked on DBs didn't work either.

Thanks,

John Cesta

John Cesta
Sunday, June 08, 2003

Wouldn't it be nice when the uninstaller tells you that you are removing a shared dll that it lists the applications that share it?

Joel Goldstick
Monday, June 09, 2003

Sure, but that would be a major revision of the way things work in Windows-land. All the uninstaller knows is that there's a refcount stored that says "I think 4 applications are using this file".

Mike Gunderloy
Monday, June 09, 2003

What the uninstaller does say is that

" The file you want to uninstall does belong to this program and it *may* be used by other programs"

Maybe it should say..."It *is* being used by other programs so don't delete it!"

John

John Cesta
Thursday, July 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home