Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

FTP Publish not setting file permissions?

Hello, and apologies if this is in the KB or on this form--I googled and searched the forum for articles and can't find the answer... Did I fail to RTFM?

I am publishing my site using FTP. Citydesk uploads all of the file sproperly. However, the default file permission on my host's ftp server does not allow read access by anonymous users, so the files are not accessible by web browser: I get a 403 error.

I can manually set the permissions, however I would vastly prefer that Citydesk set the file permissions when it publishes.

Is there a simple setting I am missing? Or perhaps a script I should run as an external application?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.braithwaite-lee.com/

Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
Saturday, May 31, 2003

CityDesk doesn't set permissions.

But... if you are uploading to a Unix/Linux server, and the folder you're putting things has the right permissions, those permissions will inherit to new things put in the folder.

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, May 31, 2003

...so will win2k

John Cesta
Monday, June 02, 2003

Thanks for the feedback. The server seems to be running some BSD on an Apple PowerPC.

When I use Windows to check the folder's permission, I see that the owner and group have read, write, and execute permissions. Everyone has read and execute permission, but not write permission.

Nevertheless, when Citydesk publishes, the files and folders it creates have the following permissions: The owner and group have read, write, and execute permissions. Everyone has no permissions whatsoever.

Do I need to SSH intot he server and set permissions with chmod instead of using Windows Explorer?

(racking brains unsuccessfully)

--
http://www.braithwaite-lee.com/

Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

That's strange. The permissions should be inhereted from the folder. Are you the owner or the group when you're creating these files?

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home