Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

The dreaded <P> tag (revisited)

I know this has been discussed, and is fixed in an unreleased version of CityDesk.

But since it invalidates the rss.xml file, and it forces me to ftp the file to a text editor, remove the <P> tags, and ftp it back to the site, I thought I'd be a bother about it.

I also don't like the way it uglifies my little previous and next links, too.  But I'm not going to muck with each generated article in a text editor.

Anxiously waiting for the release of this fix...

David Blume
Thursday, May 29, 2003

John Topley mentions editing out the <P> tags with Access.  What freeware can I use to edit out the <P> tags myself?

Don't know if I have Access.  (Sort of like a Word user not knowing if he has Visual Basic.)  My OS is XP Home, and I don't have Office.

David Blume
Thursday, May 29, 2003

Copyboy. I dunno what the link is. It should be permenantly in the sidenav here.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, May 29, 2003

Thanks, Mark, except that I'm using the beta, and unfortunately CopyBoy is incompatible.  http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=7220

David Blume
Thursday, May 29, 2003

http://www.larkware.com/Products/LarkwareCopyBoy.html

Joel Goldstick
Thursday, May 29, 2003

Yeah I saw that post after I added mine here. Looks like you're SOL until CopyBoy upgrades or you can get hold of someone with Access.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, May 29, 2003

The new beta is out today fixing this problem.

You will have to reopen, modify, and resave any articles in which this occurred, because the "<p>" stripping is done when an article is saved.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, May 29, 2003

I like the idea of putting a CopyBoy link in the sidebar here :)

I'll have an ALPHA of CopyBoy 2.0 out by Monday. It won't have everything that I intend to put in yet, but one feature that will be present is direct editing of any table in the CityDesk database.

At the same time I'll make the CopyBoy 1.0 source available to anyone who cares to move it forward to CityDesk 2.0 compatibility.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, May 29, 2003

I seem to remember that this happens not only with <P> tags but any tag that is used to begin a document.  For instance, a lot of my articles begin with <DIV> and that tag would be used as the default start for the next new paragraph.

I'll try to reproduce it in 2.0.5.

David Burch
Friday, May 30, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home