Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Missing Import Folder Option

In version 1.o when importing web pages from a file system folder, CityDesk would give you the option of importing the web pages into the selected CityDesk folder or creating a subfolder containing all the web pages into the selected CityDesk folder.

This feature appears to have disappeared from Beta 2.0.3.

David Burch
Monday, May 26, 2003

Yep, we now always import as a folder.

The reason for the change is that people were genuinely confused about what the question was asking them. One of the things we believe about UI design is that it's always better to avoid asking people difficult questions, and we assume that most people who are importing an entire folder intend to do just that ... import an entire folder ... it's rare to want to import ALL the files from a given folder into an existing folder, and if you really want that, you can still select them all from the windows explorer window and drag them in.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Dragging them in works great except that I would like to see all the links to the images in the HTML use the image magic name.  That way I could rearrange images without breaking links after importing a site. 

Having the imported files become articles, so that I could use the article fields, would be great too.

David Burch
Wednesday, May 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home