Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

More flexible scripting for 3.0?

At one time there was talk of switching CityScript for VBScript or JavaScript: http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=3533&ixReplies=7

Is this being considered for the next release? 

CityDesk 2.0 is a good upgrade, but for me, mainly gets rid of bugs, hassles and quirks making it usable but not giving me more powerful features.

CityDesk is so close to being ready for prime time.  It mainly needs more powerful scripting features (all the basic testing, conditional, and looping operators).

David Burch
Thursday, May 22, 2003

CD2.0 really just fixes some bugs and gives us a minor (although much-appreciated!) increment in functionality. It's a refinement of CD1.0, designed to address the most pressing needs of existing customers.

Joel has said elsewhere that CD3.0 will be a major change, with things like better support for distributed collaboration and (I'm guessing) a more complete scripting language, such as JavaScript.

Darren Collins
Thursday, May 22, 2003

About 2/3 of the way down

http://www.citydesknews.com/CityDesk/2.0/BetaLetter.html

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, May 22, 2003

I know that 2.0 pretty much just fixes some problems with 1.0.  I am not knocking that or saying that this release is not needed or unappreciated.

However, this release did not deliver any additional functionality that I needed.  It makes working with the product more pleasant but did not deliver anything I have to upgrade for in order to maintain my site.

I know that 3.0 is targeted for the end of the year and that it "will have some major architectural enhancements ...  and ... major new features designed to satisfy a much wider range of projects."

I also know that Joel mentioned on looking at introducing Javascript into the product almost a year ago. 

I would like to know if the 3.0 product is going to have all the basic programming constructs--everything I really need to do stuff without resorting to javascript in the HTML pages.

David Burch
Thursday, May 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home