Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Removing HTML from headline

I have an article that for some reason have a headline surrounded by <P> and </P>. How do I remove those? Do I need to make a new article or is there a faster way?

Fredrik Jacobsson
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Recreating the article dont help. I got the <P>-tags in a new one too. (using the 2.0.3 beta)

Fredrik Jacobsson
Thursday, May 22, 2003

I can recreate with most of my new articles. Not all tho, but I dont know why.

If I see that I have a <P>-problem and I go into the article and clears the Headline-filed, the next time I open the article I get a error saying "HTML syntax errors detected - cant switch to normal view. There may be a duplicate ... tag".

It opens fine tho, and has the normal view up.

That error message is 100% reproducable on the articles with the <P>-tag headline problem.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Just to clarify about the HTML syntax error message...the article contains only a couple of lines of plain text entered in the normal view. No html or any fancy stuff.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Think I found how to reproduce the <P>-bug all the time:

Create an artice and choose a name (that CD auomaticly sets as headline). Now you have the <P>-tags there.

workaround:

Create an article with the default name "New Article". CD dont sets a headline and you can rename the article and set the headline without risking getting the <P>'s.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Thursday, May 22, 2003

We're aware of this and we'll fix it for the next beta.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Wow, nice. thanks.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Is this a 2.0.3 problem only?

tk
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Fredrik,

When you say for the reproduce case:
"Create an article and choose a name (that CD automatically sets as headline). Now you have the <P>-tags there."

what do you mean by "choose a name".  Can you be more specific as to the exact steps you are doing?

(Like, Click the New Article Button.  Then type the words "THis is the Article".  Then hit enter).

Thanks so much!

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Oops. sorry. I tested it alot and when I made X article creations showing the same behaviour I thought it was 100% reproducable. Sadly after further testing I see that it wasnt so. So I really dont know.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Thursday, May 22, 2003

I can fix this pretty easy (I already have) but I'm trying to find a way to reproduce it so I can make sure it doesn't happen in the first place.

Basically what is happening is if you put a headline in there and the DHTML control decides to wrap it in <P></P> and its the only paragraph, we remove the P tags.  What seems to be happening in your case is that <P> isn't the beginning of the headline (even though you can't see it, there is a newline or two in there) and there might be some space at the end.  You can't visibly see this because the headline is in WYSIWYG mode, but the source has it in there.  Anyway, the fix was quite simple, but I just wanted to double check to make sure this didn't happen so if you figure out a repro case or can think of one, now that I've described the problem a bit better, then let me know.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, May 22, 2003

I often find myself going into otherwise empty CityDesk fields and hitting backspace and delete a lot to make sure they really are empty.

While I <b>get</b> why HTML in headlines would be a <i>useful</i> feature, I've learned to live without it, and plaintext headlines would be one less thing to have to worry about for me.

A switch in the template or on the article would be good for me in all fields that get an HTML view.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Ok, tested alot again, and I can reproduce it very many times doing this: (dont dare say 100%, hehe)

I set focus on a folder (called Nyheter)

Click on the "New Article" button on the toolbar

Name the article (dates like 2003-05-25 in my case)

open the article and go to the headline field.

select the current headline by highlighting the text (left-click and hold at right of the headlind followed by dragging to the left)

Enter new text with the keyboard to replace the old.

Fredrik Jacobsson
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Excellent Fredrik!  Thank you!
The fix I have implemented fixes this problem... for articles that you have already created that have the problem, you will just need to open them up and change the headline once and they will be fixed.  New articles will not exhibit this behavior.  (Note that the fix will be in the NEXT beta, BETA 3, (or the final release) not the current build obviously).

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Having a similar issue with Beta 2.0.3 using a graphic in Extra2 generates an extra < /p > in the finished HTML

Martyn Bryan
Friday, May 23, 2003

Well, I just spent four hours updating the database with new articles, an archive of personal work for outside publications. The last time this happened, a few months ago, I wasted several hours because I didn't realize CD was preserving HTML formatting when I C-v-ed into article fields. I was told on this board to be careful to insert text into the fields with "Edit/Past without formatting." Today I did just that, only to have CD continue to insert HTML formatting. Now I come to this thread and see it is CDs fault. I suppose I should not use beta software. Ack. Two big sessions at CD has resulted in more than 8 wasted hours. I will need to spend a few more hours cleaning all these fields up when the fix comes out. Fun. Oh Well.

Ryan Tate
Sunday, May 25, 2003

I was just like to reiterate that this whole thing is ridiculous from a UI standpoint. There is *absolutely nothing* in the article fields to indicate one is entering anything other than *plain text*. I have tried pasting large or bold HTML text into the fields, and they do not show up large or bold.  Only links appear in a WYSIWYG fashion, as far as I can tell. The name "Properties" does not help matters -- when I alter properties in Windows I am dealing with plain text.

These fields need an HTML/Plain Text toggle to make clear they are DHTML fields, and in the meantime there should be a CityScript switch or CityDesk preference to force plain text interpretation.

Ryan Tate
Sunday, May 25, 2003

Hear-hear Ryan!

David Burch
Tuesday, May 27, 2003

And now that I have calmed down, I would like to reiterate that I nevertheless still love this product.

:--)

Ryan Tate
Thursday, May 29, 2003

I love it too but I enjoy it more if it were a lot less rough around the edges.  The sad part is that this product is intended for non-technical customers who will not have any tools at their disposal to fix what CityDesk breaks and hides from you.

David Burch
Thursday, May 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home