Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Problem with auto-inserted meta tags in CD 2.0.3

I notice now that CityDesk inserts meta tags using the xhtml stylee with the terminating forward slash like so:

<meta name="generator" content="Fog Creek CityDesk 2.0.3" />

Unfortunately if, like me, your CityDesk site is valid html 4.01 transitional, then this renders the site invalid. Would it be possible to either supress these meta tags or specify whether the training slash should be used.

I know you can't please all the people all the time but it's a lot easier to generate valid html 4 with CityDesk than xhtml...

John C
Thursday, May 22, 2003

what if we did <meta ...></meta> ? would that validate for both xhtml and html 4?

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Sadly not. It would validate in xhtml but not html 4. You can't win!

John C
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Personally, I'd prefer the xhtml format, most sites/browsers seem to be progressing towards it. xhtml has always seemed a little tidier to me.

Just my two pence worth.

Ian Jones
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Yeah, the trouble is that it's hard to conform to xhtml using citydesk's editor, but very easy to conform to html 4 due to the html is produces.

As a side note, xhtml can be a nightmare to work with because you seem to spend all your time tweaking it to work around display bugs in all the various browsers - more trouble than it's worth imho.

John C
Thursday, May 22, 2003

How about using variables:

<meta ..... etc. {$.XSwitch$}

The developer then sets XSwitch to either "/" or ""

Joel Goldstick
Thursday, May 22, 2003

I think it should default to valid HTML.  Unless, of course, you want to make it an XML editor with XSLT support.  Then we can transform it into anything we want.

David Burch
Thursday, May 22, 2003

How about checking the DOCTYPE, with the default being HTML 4 compliance if there isn't one specified? I assume that a DOCTYPE is mandatory for XHTML.

Or maybe it's time to introduce the dreaded Options dialogue?!

John Topley
Friday, May 23, 2003

>As a side note, xhtml can be a nightmare to work with because you seem to spend all your time tweaking it to work around display bugs in all the various browsers - more trouble than it's worth imho.

Two points:

1. XHTML is not going to go away.
2. I don't find it harder than 4.01 - indeed because it is so much more logical it's easier to process with automated tools. Not easy - easier :-)

So why not either:

a. Default to 4.01 but allow advanced users to customise the tags generated (at their own risk)!

or b. options

c. Reading doctype may have more issues I think...

MeJ

James Roberts
Saturday, May 24, 2003

We're planning to read the doctype.

What issues would that have?

By the way, are you doing any processing of your CityDesk-generated pages with other tools that require xhtml, or is this just a theoretical issue?

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, May 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home