Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature request -- ftp .cty file option

I have a new client who will be doing a fair amount of content entry to their site.  I will probably have to clean some of it up.  So, I was thinking it would be great to have the option of ftp-ing the whole cty file up to the site after doing a publish.  Also, it would be nice to be able to push a button (in cd)  to ftp the site down to the user, then open it up.

I know this is easy with an ftp client, but it would be easier for users to have it just 'happen'.  This way different users can keep in sync.

Joel Goldstick
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

John - different users WON'T keep in sync though, they'll over-write each other's changes.

That's why I keep recommending XML versions of the individual files (articles, templates, variables, etc.), with a citydesk.xml telling you which ones have changed. You then just grab the changed files at the beginning of each publish, making sure your CityDesk is up to date.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

One risk here is if the .CTY file contains passwords, anyone who can read your web site can hack it. Which is why haven't been too enthusiastic about this feature... it's too easy to create massive security headaches.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

There's no security problem if you FTP it to a directory outside the website tree, or one appropriately protected by htaccess, or on a different server with no web access.

Many tools have powerful and potentially dangerous features, but are safe if used sensibly and correctly. All that's necessary is a stern warning in the dialog - rather like the one on, say, a chainsaw.

Michael Wild
Friday, May 23, 2003

Good point. Many people keep very sensitive data on their web server, such as the database connect strings in such areas.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, May 23, 2003

Ya, we were also thinking of automatically deleting your publish locations when we FTP it up to be safe...

Joel Spolsky
Friday, May 23, 2003

I still think chunking up the dB so that you only have to download / upload the bits that have changed would be the best way to do this. Essentially creating a flat file database on the server whose sole purpose is to sync with CityDesk users worldwide.

But I've discussed this ad nauseum.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, May 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home