Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Explanation Bug: Bullet List Affects Wrong Box

I think I can explain the bug Mark explained some posts back. Ok, here we go:

- I go from the article tab to the extra tab
- click with the mouse on the sidebar window
- try to make list or link
- result : bulleted/numbered list and/or link end up in the (wrong) teaser window

Now different approach:

- I go from the article tab to the extra tab
- tab (with tab key) to the sidebar window
- try to make list or link
- result : bulleted/numbered list and/or link end up in the correct window

My explanation : the change of focus with the mouse in the extra tab doesn't work. The different windows (teaser, sidebar, extra1, extra2, author, ..) don't get the right focus.
So you must give focus with the tab key to make working it correct. I hope this problem can be fixed easily.

IE : 5.50.4134.0600
Citydesk : beta buid 20030502A, version 2.0.1

regards,
Michel

Michel Berkhout
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

No matter how hard I try, I can't reproduce this bug.

Does it happen to you all the time or once in a while?

Maybe you're omitting some step.

I have tried Win 2000, XP, and Win 98 SE with IE 5.0 and 5.5 -- not repro.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Maybe Windows Me and the Dutch version of 98 have something in common? Some alternate version of IE? I did mention that IE behaves oddly, didn't I?

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

"oddly"?

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Oh... I see. You just have "show friendly urls" turned on in the advanced options. I would eat my hat if this had anything to do with keyboard focus bugs!

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Friendly URL's? Thanks!

I still wonder if there's something to do with Windows Me. That's actually not the only strange behavior, there's something odd with bookmarks too. They don't launch in the IE window you click on them in, instead they act as regular shortcuts opening whatever your default browser is.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

I can confirm that the steps outlined above "work" for me. Just clicking in the box it doesn't work, but tabbing between them does.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Some new facts:

- installed citydesk on a new partition on my PC at home, still the same problem

- uninstalled beta release and installed 1.0.3 version, still the same problem

- tried citydesk (both 1.0.3 and beta) at work: OS windows NT, version 4, build 1381, sevice pack 6, uk edition, IE : version 5.504807.2300CO, SP2, UK edition --> no problem, everything works fine!

So it has definitly something to do with the combination OS and/or IE version.

regards,
Michel

Michel Berkhout
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

Works fine in Dutch XP  with IE 6.0.2800.xpsp1 both for CD 1.031 as for the beta 2.0.1

My experiences with the Dutch ME: worst operating system ever from Microsoft. Lots of bugs and few fixes.

Adriaan van den Brand
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

I expect the American "Me" is similar. I thought it would be better than 98se, but it looks like I'm wrong.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

Problem is solved for me!!  Upgrading from IE5.5 (Dutch) to IE6.0 (SP1, Dutch) made it all work again. Bulleted and numbered lists and links are now ending up in the right window when slecting the windows with the mouse.

regards,
Michel

Michel Berkhout
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home