Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Importing/Converting a FrontPage site

I apologize if this has been covered before, but here's my question: Can CityDesk easily import a web site that has been built with CityDesk?  The reason I ask is that my wife has a small business creating and maintaining web sites for local businesses.  She uses FrontPage to develop the sites.  One of her clients wants to start updating their site frequently, but is concerned about the cost of my wife's hourly fee.  I am proposing that my wife move the site to CityDesk and then teach the client how to update the pages on their own.  Is this a good plan?  Any other suggestions? 

Mike Sennett
Thursday, November 29, 2001

That first question should read: "Can CityDesk easily import a web site that has been built with FrontPage?"  I got up a little *too* early this morning.

Mike Sennett

I've converted two FrontPage sites to CityDesk.  They aren't big sites but they are important to me.  Once published, I can't tell the difference between the original FP site and the CityDesk site.  For me, the CityDesk versions are much easier to manage.

Two things to keep in mind:

You must import each page individually.  If you have lots of pages, you have more work.  Once imported, you'll probably want to rename your files toavoid breaking links if folks link to your site.

CityDesk will also rename all of your images and create an image directory for each imported page.  In my case, I renamed them back to their original names and dragged the image files into image directories the way I wanted them.

There is a little extra image trouble here:  If you have 10 pages that use the same image, such as a spacer.gif, CityDesk will import that gif 10 times, once for each of your pages.

It would be nice if you could tell CityDesk: "Import this batch of HTML files, and retain the image names please."

Terry Kearns

Terry and Mike,

Its even easier than what Terry was saying... All you have to do is take the folder with all your html pages and images in it and drag and drop it into citydesk.

Then you can publish immediately and you'll have exactly the same site.

Of course, this doesn't use any of the content management features of citydesk, but it allows you to slowly add them in to an already existing site as you see fit.

Michael Pryor

Good grief, I'm always doing things the hard way.

Terry Kearns

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home