Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Another CD powered web site

I've just finished converting my web site (http://www.mswings.com ) to CityDesk. CD1 for the moment. I wasn't brave enough to let the beta of CD2 loose on it. This is my first cut at it and the layout is a fairly basic duplicate of how it looked when I used FrontPage.

Nigel Wilson
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Cool site. I thought it was a site about Microsoft Wings... (MSWings) when I first saw the link. You know... small chicken wings that keep crashing.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, May 15, 2003

I have always wondered why some people use the better part of a site's index page to show a link saying: Click here to enter. ... What's the purpose of this? I have just entered, haven't I. Why should I enter one more time? Will another link wait for me there saying: Click here to really enter ... ?

Each time your users have to click one more time to get to the good stuff you lose some of them. Three clicks seems to be the maximum most first time users can endure before the drift away to another site.

Take a look at the log files. How many users leave after less than ten seconds? After one minute? It's scaring ... but of course here I speak mostly for myself. On the other hand I've often wondered about those users hanging around for more than two hours ... have they left the computer for more interesting expeditions into the physical world? Are they dead? Have I bored them to death? I'll never know for sure, but I try not to have more than one or two clicks between the index page and the substance.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, May 15, 2003

I visit a site - thelisteningsessions.com - and the splash page bugs me. no click through, i just have to sit and wait. it sucks.

I'm not a big fan of splash pages either, especially when they don't add anything.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Music, performer, and art sites (and of course anyone who does Flash) are major splash page offenders. It seems like artists just have to do art.  Once in a while it's stunning, but not often.

tk
Thursday, May 15, 2003

OK. I hear what you're saying. The splash page has come and gone, been an automatic transition (with click through)to the contents page, and had a little blurb about the site etc, over the history of the site.

I'm planning more restructing when CD2 is released/beta stabilizes, so maybe it will disappear again.

Nigel
Friday, May 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home