Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Templates not just for articles

Have you considered being able to specify a template for pages other than articles? ie right now I can see CityDesk being good to manage sites like joelonsoftware but not so good to manage Fog Creek for example. Well since you believe in eating your own dog food, I guess you must have used it to create the new frog creek pages (looks good btw) and now that I look at it I realize you did. How did/does it work for you? I just noticed that each product was considered a seperate CityDesk html pages and their details are CityDesk article. The html/product pages don't share too much of a common look but what if you wanted to change all the html/product pages to have the same navigation links that you have on the main fog creek page?

Sylvain Marcotte
Thursday, November 29, 2001

I wanted a template for my .html page just so I could do the menu and footer one time.

I solved the problem by creating the menu and footer on the index page, copying the menu HTML into a variable, ".menu" and the footer menu HTML into a variable, ".footer"

If you use a script to build your menu, just put the menu script where you need it: on HTML pages, on article templates.  That way if you add you add a page or article that generates a new menu item, your scripts will generate your changed menus for you.

I'm interested in hearing other ideas on this.

Terry Kearns

I took the opposite approach, actually. Since my site is already all ASP.net and uses ASP.net to generate the "grunge" of the page (i.e., the "non-content"), I'm using CityDesk to emit ASP.net that calls my "grunge generator", rather than directly emitting HTML.

Works like a charm. :)

Brad Wilson

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home