Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

PTMFOG0000000142 -> PTMFOG0000000351

One of my articles' magic names seems to have changed to PTMFOG0000000351.

It was a main index page for my site and I only noticed today when I re-published one article and I noticed CityDesk told me that the link was broken.

I went to the desktop version of my site and lo and behold....  The links to that file were to "culture_and_media/PTMFOG0000000142" and no longer worked.

It was easy to track down the old PTMFOG0000000142 in the template and change it... but it's odd... I don't remember doing anything more than opening this file to see what keywords I used in the loop that's on the page.

VIP Edition Version 2.0.1, Build Date: 20030502A, Windows 98.

It's very strange and I'm trying to remember doing something to this file, but my memory tells me I haven't done anything to it.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

I just created a new article and it's magic name is PTMFOG0000000352.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

... And this file is index-2.html on my site. I'm compacting & re-naming the file to hope to get it to be index.html... still wracking my mind to remember if I actually created a new index in this folder.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Oh, and I seem to have figured out how to crash CityDesk... Name an article it's magic name and then publish.

Compacting the site and renaming it index seems to have worked.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

CD2 is ok to play with at this stage in development – preferably on another machine than CD1 is residing on – but I would not trust it to handle old, well functioning sites yet.
Just my way of coping with the inevitably beta problems. And by the way: Joel warned you when CD2 beta was released. And now that Michael has migrated to another reality show than Fog Creek Family I'll stick to CD1 a little while.

Jorgen Brenting
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

"And now that Michael has migrated to another reality show than Fog Creek Family..."

What does that mean?

John Topley
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

John, Truth is stranger than fiction...

http://www.citydesknews.com/CityDesk/news/entries/2003/May/13.html

John C
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Oooh, I missed that, thanks! So if Michael's Fog Creek President, what is Joel's designation? CEO? Chief Software Architect (think BillG)?

John Topley
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

>I'll stick to CD1 a little while.

Me2.

It's usually better not to bet on a beta.

MeJ

James Roberts
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

If not a bet perhaps a small flutter on something that has "fixed literally hundreds of bugs and annoyances" (Joel's beta announcement).

Ian Russell
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Ian: that was a *joke*. Wordplay. A jest.

But seriously -

a. It's a beta because it is not release quality. That is why it is a beta. I would not risk my income or a clients material on a beta. That is *why* it is a *beta* - to warn us that it is not for use.

b. '...something that has "fixed literally hundreds of bugs and annoyances" (Joel's beta announcement).'

Not mine it hasn't :-)

MeJ

James Roberts
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Joel is the Founder. I believe that's his official title.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

American titles are realy something. Wow! You can almost see God on a clear day.

Jorgen Brenting
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

I kinda like founder... Didn't someone else claim that title in a famous software company from the 80's? It says that the's important, but he's not as involved in the day to day operations.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

:-)

Jorgen Brenting
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home