Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

XHTML Suggestion

XHTML users have to be careful to avoid Normal view, because it messes up XHTML. I would like to suggest that CityDesk be modified so that if the user goes to Normal view and makes no changes, the changes made by CityDesk in Normal view be abandoned. That way, your XHTML would not be messed up unless you actually made some changes while in Normal view.

Specifically, if you go to Normal view, and make no changes, and then exit by 1. Save and close or 2. Close without saving, or 3. Returning to HTML view, then the changes made by CityDesk while in Normal view should be abandoned.

That would make CityDesk a lot friendlier for XHTML users. They would also be able to make good use of Normal view provided they didn't change anything. And for other users, CityDesk's behavior would be the same as it is now.

Rev. Dominic Lloyd
Monday, May 12, 2003

This sounds like a good idea to avoid problems in general.  Why save if no changes are made in the switch to normal mode?

David Burch
Monday, May 12, 2003

and why not marking the switching as undo-able action (as I've suggested in the UTF-8 discussion)

Adriaan van den Brand
Monday, May 12, 2003

Kludges and workarounds.

I'd just like to be able to switch between Normal and HTML view knowing that they both correspond to the same thing and without worrying about one effecting the other. There must be a decent third party HTML editing control for VB6 out there that doesn't fsck up the code!

John Topley
Monday, May 12, 2003

"There must be a decent third party HTML editing control for VB6 out there that doesn't fsck up the code! "

I'm not a VB programmer (not any sort of programmer, nowadays) but I had a quick look around in the usual places and while there are a *lot* of VB HTML bitsanpieces there's a distinct shortage of HTML editor elements that permit editing in rendered or source mode.

This may be part of the problem :-)

MeJ

James Roberts
Monday, May 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home