Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CopyBoy Plans

Since I've mentioned a thing or two about it, I suppose I should make the CopyBoy plans more or less official:

- There will be a CopyBoy 2.0 for CityDesk 2.0
- I'm aiming to release close to the CD 2.0 release date
- I intend to implement all of the current CB 1.0 functions, plus as many new goodies as I have time for (I have lots of notes from things people have posted here).
- Pricing/distribution not yet determined. Certainly there will at least be a free beta. Possibly the final version will be shareware, donationware, or commercial.
- The new version is a .NET application. You will need to have the .NET Framework version 1.1 installed to use it.
- Recognizing that many users won't want to move to .NET, I plan to release the VB6 source for CB 1.0 to anyone who wants to work with it.

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, May 11, 2003

Sounds good however I feel you may not move too many copies if you only provide it on .net.

John Cesta

John Cesta
Sunday, May 11, 2003

Yep, I'm aware that working in .NET raises the bar for the next year or two. But that's really where all of my work is these days. It's entirely possible that the .NET Framework may be ubiquitous by the time CityDesk 3.0 hits.

It's not worth my working in an old development environment for what is basically a non-paying side project.

Hence the plan to make the 1.0 source code available.

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, May 11, 2003

Mike,

I've been selling software for a living for quite a while now and because of the markets our products appeal to, can't even chop off support for Win95, even if FC can ;-)

What I do understand from talking to these people every day is that .Net is .Not going to be ubiquitous in the home/soho market place until all those machines are replaced. Given current trends I reckon you're looking at more than 3 years before you are even approach half the market that will have the .Net runtimes pre-installed.

I do appreciate, and use, CB. And thank you for it. I do have .Net runtimes available on a test machine, but not my main ones... because nothing else I use needs it.

I fully appreciate your reasons for moving CB forward using it, but can't see myself putting .Net stuff on my production machine just for CB...

Unless, you build something REALLY compelling into it ;-)

Tim Jones
Sunday, May 11, 2003

I'm a consultant to a MS dealership (another hat).

We checked with all our UK SME small corporate customers (couple of hundred clients, 3-25 users).

Not a single one has need for .Net

They may get caught out by events, of course.

MeJ

James Roberts
Monday, May 12, 2003

I'm consistently 3 years behind the times.

I got Windows 95 in 1998, Windows 98 in 2001, and I'm about to upgrade to Windows 2000.

This is the exact middle of the lifecycle of these products according to the official MS roadmaps. While I'm very aware that I'm 3 years behind the times, I suspect that I'm not alone. Citigroup (where I used to work) just upgraded from Windows NT to Windows 2000 last autumn. Don't even get me started on their use of Netscape 4...

When Joel was discussing the possibility of moving CityDesk to .net, didn't he say he could distribute it to people without .net by increasing the download size considerably? Perhaps you can just create two packages - for people with .net and for people without.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, May 12, 2003

Installing the .NET runtime adds roughly 20MB to the download size. And yes, I'll do two packages, with and without, so people without .NET can move up to CB 2.0 without needing a separate install.

I think the estimate of three years for widespread adoption of .NET is probably about right. Were I writing a general-purpose consumer tool, I wouldn't go with .NET right now. But given that almost everything I'm working on personally has made the transition, it's the right place for me to be working.

Mike Gunderloy
Monday, May 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home