Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Preventing access to Designer Mode

Is it possible to prevent users from switching into designer mode?

We would be using CityDesk to build an intranet. I can see most of the developers that have to use it switching to designer mode and messing with stuff they shouldn't be and potentially messing up the site. I would like to only allow the site designers to be able to use designer mode.

Rik Heywood
Wednesday, November 28, 2001

could we imagine a 349$ pricing per "full administrator" version and a lower price for a "no designer mode available version" corresponding to rik's demand ?

349$ is perhaps OK for a site administrator, but for a simple user with "downgraded capabilities", it's a bit hot...

It's christmas soon, Joel...

Vincent Benard

Physically preventing going into Designer Mode isn't
possible right now, but it's a pretty high priority for the next release. The question is: would it be sufficient to have a single, global "designer" password?

Eventually, I can imagine having individual accounts with different access levels and privileges. But that's off in the future. I gotta keep reminding myself that "shipping is a feature" :)

Joel Spolsky

Hey Vincent,

$349 is just for the corporate edition.  The home edition which allows 500 pages is only $79.

Just think, you could publish ALL of joelonsoftware.com right now using only the home edition (its cutting it close but its only 450 some pages).

So save your Christmas money and buy the Home edition - you can always upgrade later!

Michael Pryor

Joel,

Having a single password for designer mode would provide all the protection I would need. Having to set up user accounts and permissions would just be more hassle that I could do without. I can see that this would be a killer feature for some people though. eg, some writers only allowed to update certain sections of the site etc.

Looking forward to the release today. Good luck with the launch.

Rik Heywood
Thursday, November 29, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home