Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

One more CityDesk site

http://community.palouse.net/ATVP/index.html

It's a non-profit I do volunteer tech support for. They wanted to redo their Web site, and got a quote around $5K from a local design firm. I told them to get a copy of CD, sat with them for about an hour to show them how the pieces fit together, and said "call me if you run into trouble."

They called me yesterday - because they couldn't figure out the FTP settings. Everything else was within their grasp as ordinary power users. Sure, no fancy scripting, and probably most people here would have built it differently -- but it worked, and they saved almost $5000. Not bad.

Mike Gunderloy
Saturday, May 10, 2003

I think enabling users to manage small sites like these is what CityDesk really excels at, especially with the 2.0.1 beta's field title relabeling and variable insertion features.

David Burch
Saturday, May 10, 2003

My brother in law asked me if I could create a site for him in a day or so* and I said.. Sure. I can even let you update it, but the more time I spend with it, the better it will be.

Before CityDesk I never would've said that, but now for like $80, I can create a template, a couple of articles to index things, and he's off and running. Heck, if the site's small enough, he can do it for free.

Before CityDesk the answer was "yeah, but it'll be totally static, you can't really edit any of the pages."

* not tomorrow, but that it would take about a day to create.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 11, 2003

The new next/prev looping feature will make putting up simple photo journal sites quick and easy too.

David Burch
Sunday, May 11, 2003

I was wondering if the next/preview thing could be 'hacked' to make a site navigation that was sensitive to your current location. I haven't played with it yet, but will let you know if I get anything cool going.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 11, 2003

The index page of this site must be the largest I've ever seen.

style="LEFT: 22631400px; WIDTH: 948233px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 22459950px; HEIGHT: 914368px; mso-wrap-distance-left: 2.88pt; mso-wrap-distance-top: 2.88pt; mso-wrap-distance-right: 2.88pt; mso-wrap-distance-bottom: 2.88pt"

Is there a reason for these gigantic dimensions?

Jorgen Brenting
Sunday, May 11, 2003

The site certainly seems to do the job intended. However, it also certainly does have huge dimensions, and also no DTD so can't be validated.

With my psychologist hat on, I'd have to point out that there are a very large number of unsupported assertions on the pages I looked at (eg, 'myths') and if I was publishing this material on any of my sites, I'd be much more careful about that. It's better to cite the *source* of  the claim - if not, and if any of the claims are not supported by accepted evidence, then the publisher can potentially be sued as making a false or unsupported claim, and the site maker may commit an offence in tort. I do not state that any of the claims actually are wrong. Just a FYI. Check out the problems with FMS.

MeJ

James Roberts
Sunday, May 11, 2003

I thought the site was well done and I do not think it will have a problem in the U.S. court system. 

David Burch
Sunday, May 11, 2003

I'm guessing those huge dimensions are a side-effect of pasting something in from an Office program (note the mso: namespace).

The nice thing about HTML is that it pretty much works even if you churn out something that makes the purists wince. And in this case, resources used to build a site are resources taken away from helping battered women. So ease of use and something that displays well in IE are far more important that DTD conformance.

If anyone wants to volunteer to fix site problems for free, I'll put you in touch.

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, May 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home