Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature(s) request

This is about management. On Mac's site after more than 250 articles, we've realized that there are several batches of articles that deserve their own index. One is a travel diary. These article are all over the place: I found them and added "travel" the the keywords.  That was a pain. Find each article, open each article, change each article close each article.  Feature 1: Show articles, maybe not the body,  (even better: selected articles) in a tabular format so I can change them all on one screen.
http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/PassporttotheWorldover64y.html

The second problem was arranging the articles in sequence. We could have changed the fileddate to the date of the travel but we wanted to keep the orginal fileddate. Published date wouldn't work. I ended up adding a letter in the sidebar that sequenced the articles.  I could have used a new date field: eventdate.

Eventdate would help on this event calendar site as well. In this case I use the fileddate as the event date, so many of my fileddates are in the future.
http://tk-jk.net/euphonic/

tk
Saturday, May 10, 2003

I guess it depends on how you architected the site. That's always a problem when you have two competing organizational structures. I'm glad Keywords exist to prevent me from having to choose just one!

Then for order... that's a bit of a pain if the files really are all over the site. If they were all in the same folder, you could use folder-order. CD2 even gives you tools for prevoius/next if you can create a good folder order.

Can't you now use extra1 or something for "eventdate" ? Just make sure they structure it 2003-06-01 or however you want it, and sort by that field.

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, May 10, 2003

Yeah Mark, just sticking the event date in there went right over my head the first time and might just do the trick for me. It would still be nice to have an event date that we could do a little arithmatic with.

The new 2.0 publish date is right on the money but I must have really wanted "another date field I could mess with."

Managing batches of articles when your customer changes his mind is another issue. City certainly gives you ways to radically change your site. I'm patient for a little more management help.

tk
Saturday, May 10, 2003

I didn't mention it before, but I thought a typical database admin panel where you can run a query and see the results in a grid form and then edit any of the items in the grid would be useful.

Like:

return all results matching (condition).

Then in the results, give me the ability to zoom in to any field and edit it... That would rock.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 11, 2003

Watch for CopyBoy 2.0 :)

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, May 11, 2003

Sweet.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home