Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

my CD2.0 observations

It looks great. I have only had little time to experiment, but I like what I have seen so far.

A few observations:

(quirck) Open article & immediately close: CD2 asks for confirmation (loose changes?)

loops: great enhancements; I like {$before$} {$between$}, {$after$},{$odd$} and {$even$}
This is great for alternating styles and optionally empty lists (such as job opportunities in these times ;-(  )
This does not yet solve the feature asked by some people, to split a list (e.g. first 50% of articles in a left column, next half in right column). Or did I miss something...?

Foldernames: much better now, I miss "." for current directory

absolute paths: thanks for the absolute path setting!

Errors: much more helpful (at least it tells what is causing the problem) although the position can be improved.

I think CD2 is still as easy to use as CD1.0 but much more powerful. That is great! My compliments. Now I have to see how I can rewrite my scripts to be much more readable...

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, May 08, 2003

Thanks for all the feedback!

Although you can't split a list 50% left / 50% right, you can now do this:

{$ foreach... $}
{$ before $}
<table>
{$ odd $}
<tr><td>{$...$}</td>
{$ even $}
<td>{$...$}</td></tr>
{$ after $}
</table>
{$ next $}

Next question. We *do* have a known bug that opening a template and immediately closing it prompts to save changes. It'll be fixed in the next beta. But I haven't seen the same thing with *articles*. If you have this with articles, could you (privately) send me the full HTML source of the article that causes this? I'm trying to see under what circumstances this happens. It doesn't seem to happen on the built-in Getting Started article, for example...

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, May 08, 2003

oh and I'll check into "." with folders. Maybe I can figure out a cheap way to make it work...

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, May 08, 2003

That "." feature would be an enormous benefit! It would allow nearly all my subfolder index page scripts to be made generic, rather than having to hardcode the folder name into each one.

Darren Collins
Thursday, May 08, 2003

The individual named below would also approve wildly of the afforementioned . functionality:

Mark Major
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I wholeheartedly second the "." folder request. As Darren says, it would allow many index page scripts to be made generic, rather than having to hardcode them.

In fact, there would also be the advantage of uniformity throughout the web site for index pages.

I would create a variable called "index" or something, which does a foreach on the "." folder. All index pages referring to the 'index' variable would than have a guaranteed uniform appearance throughout the site. Putting the teaser under the headline in italic instead of next to the headline, would just be changing it once in the variable and all index pages would be updated uniformly. Or you could have 2 index variables with different foreach formatting, like one for weblog entries and another for articles.

Paul Iliano
Friday, May 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home