Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Joel Spolsky as Author of Dinosaur articles

After having downloaded CD2 and installed it in a separate folder and looked at it I decided that it was to early (i.e. risky) still to convert sites from real life.

The next day I opened CD1 to write some articles to a site of mine and it was not until much later when the new pages had been on the Net for a couple of days that I saw that Joel Spolsky himself in mysterious ways had become the author of my new articles about dinosaurs.

There must exist some strange connection between CD2 and CD1. But how? The site I opened in CD1 had NOT been opened in CD2. My first thought: What else has suddenly become common goods against my knowledge?!

It has long been a source of irritation that the Author from one article also became the author of other articles if you didn't pay attention, but I thought it was just another bug in CD1. That the author now carries over not only from article to article but also from CD2 in one folder to CD1 in another folder and from one site to another come as a bit of surprise. Until this is solved it will definitely keep me off CD2 Beta because of fear of spoiling already functioning sites with other small surprises.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, May 08, 2003

Actually the author name is just stored in the registry.

When you edit an article, if you change the author, the new author is written out to the registry. You might have edited the author of the "Getting Started" article (me) in some way?

This has not changed in CD 2, the behavior is the same as CD 1. Perhaps instead we should implement an options dialog in which you specify the author name for new articles.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I did edit the "Getting started" article but didn't change the author. That's what puzzles me.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, May 08, 2003

Storing author info in the registry seems awkward to me. An options dialog is better.

Why not a list of authors you can choose from, much like the new Insert variable menu item.

Paul Iliano
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I agree with Paul.

Why the registry? Why not a record in the Access db?
What else is stored in the registry one wonders?
Why store the author at all? When working with different authors this is a pain in a dark place.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I presume the registry is used and not the Access database because these are settings that span multiple site files (or at least, should be - storing the author seems to break this rule).

Why wonder what's stored when you can look? There's window sizes and positions, various MRU lists and paths to external editors. I notice that Fog Creek aren't using separate branches for different versions, which you're supposed to do. I guess their way makes migration easier.

John Topley
Thursday, May 08, 2003

The registry makes sense to me. In most organizations each person has their own computer... They're pretty cheap. Odds are you'd forget to fill that field in or change it anyway, so it pre-fills it for you.

This probably only breaks down in organizations that are so small they don't have a computer for every person, or if they have one citydesk license and every author uses that.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, May 08, 2003

Oh, there are lots of other circumstances out there ... I'm from a publishing house. We use the articles to inform about books and the author-fields to name the author (and not the person who writes the article, see). Therefore it is very inconvenient to have the content of this field stored at all.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I, too, have wound up with wrong authors as a result of using the author field for something other than the person who wrote the article. If we have time, we might move it into a preferences dialog and you can set your default to nothing.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, May 08, 2003

That would be nice, but now that this "mystery" is solved it can wait to v.3 as far as I'm concerned. My fear was that it was a symptom of a major fault in the system somewhere, but clearly it's not, so I will venture into CD2 some more.

Jorgen Brenting
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I'd like to be able to set default Authors on a per-site basis (i.e. store it in the DB, rather than the registry).

When I'm editing my work site, I typically leave the Author field blank. When working on my home site, I usually want "Darren Collins" as the Author. When working on the Down Syndrome Association site, "Jill O'Connor" is usually the Author (she emails me articles, and I update the site).

Of course, I don't use CityDesk in a multiuser environment, and I can see that in that situation you'd probably want the Author default stored on your machine rather than in the .cty file.

I guess I'd be just as happy if I could make the default Author field blank, and fill it in as needed. A missing author is much better than a wrong one!

Darren Collins
Thursday, May 08, 2003

What I want, from my perspective, is the ability to have a list of multiple authors to choose from on a site basis. I want this author snippet to have the ability to link to his page or email address.

Today I create a variable for an author to have these links, so that if the link info is updated, they are updated everywhere.

What seems ideal to me, is the ability to create a list of authors, and be able in the editor to insert them like Insert > Author, not only in the Author field, but in other fields like Body as well.

Creating authors could be just like creating variables today: essentially a large text field accepting CityScript. Very flexible: you can put in whatever you want.

My 2 cents.

Paul Iliano
Friday, May 09, 2003

Paul, Excellent

I'd like to select authors and keywords as you describe and to select more than one at a time.

tk
Friday, May 09, 2003

I want a configuration option:
Check or uncheck use last author as default author.
If unchecked the author field is blank; Don't make my life more complicated by trying to do me a favor I don't want.

IMHO, ALL CityDesk behavior like this should have a configuration option to turn it on or off.

David Burch
Sunday, May 11, 2003

Note that CopyBoy has bulk updating for authors - so it's easy to go into a CityDesk file and change all instances of "Joel Spolsky" to something else.

I'll look into adding "Change Author Default" to CB2.

Mike Gunderloy
Sunday, May 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home