Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CD2: Flash-Demo Tool ?

Hi FC - great update, thanks a lot. And nice demos. Would you share with us which tool you used to create the Flash demos of CD2 ?

Regards

Patrick

Patrick Thomas
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

It's amazing what a "view source" will tell you... or just looking up at the title of the page:

<title>Macromedia Flash (SWF) Movie Created by Camtasia Studio</title>

A search for Camista Studio turned up this:

http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default2.asp

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

For some strange reason it doesn't play in the latest Mozilla though other Flash movies do.

Jorgen Brenting
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

I've used Camtasia; it's a solid tool for demos. At least the last time I looked, you got 30 days to try it out with all features before needing to pay, which is a plus. I had to fuss some to get an acceptable sound level, but other than that I don't recall any problems.

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

BTW, another tool that is also helpful for building demos is ViewletBuilder by www.qarbon.com .  You can get a 30 day trial version.  It's quite popular with software ISVs. 
--Zack

Zack
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Thanks Zack, thats what I actually hoped for (should have phrased it differently though :-) - whether someone has experiences with other screen recorders generating Flash such as ScreenFlash and the like... Upwards of US$200 seems to me a bit asking considering that Microsoft gives you the same basic functionality for free - with the snag of only creating WMP9 files.

Patrick

Patrick Thomas
Wednesday, May 07, 2003

I evaluated Qarbon a while back and contiually recommended it to someone in my office who had to do demo's... he never used it, but obviously I liked it.

I find a lot of great tools on http://www.webattack.com - it's a sort of download.com for web tools. The difference is, there's one guy that runs it and he reviews everything, so you get his rating & then the amount of downloads, not user ratings... I tend to trust his ratings.

I believe that's where I found Qarbon a year or so ago.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, May 07, 2003

BTW, I did notice some promotions of Qarbon Viewletbuilder around $199 recently instead of the list $799.  Download the trial version, register on the site and maybe they'll send you the offer...

Zack
Sunday, May 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home