Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Announcing CityDesk 2.0 Beta

The 2.0 beta is here!

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/2.0/BetaLetter.html

Joel Spolsky
Monday, May 05, 2003

It works!  The first thing my small brain could think of to do was to change the properties of a template to rename the extra fields.  In my case that is really going to help.

tk
Monday, May 05, 2003

I didn't mention that undo now seems to UNDO! I needed that real bad.

tk
Monday, May 05, 2003

The "What's New List" looks like a dream come true. I can't wait to try it all! So you listened after all ... ;-) Thank you!

Jorgen Brenting
Monday, May 05, 2003

Just watched the demos and they're great.  Sound and presentation.  I especially enjoyed the relaxed attitude.

Gray <~~> Grey

I thought I was the only one with that part of my brain missing.

B#
Monday, May 05, 2003

One thing that struck me was that although I can print the modifiedDate in templates, loops, etc, I can't do things like list all articles modified in the last 30 days. I can only list the last, say, 10 articles sorted by modifiedDate.

It would be cool to have a condition like (modifiedAfter <date>) or (modifiedMonthOf <date>).

Darren Collins
Monday, May 05, 2003

It was rude of me to post a suggestion without thanking the Fog Creek team for such a great upgrade! Sorry about that.

You've really listened to your users, and added features that are truly worthwhile. I can't see one thing in the feature list that I wouldn't use!

And the price can't be beat!

Darren Collins
Monday, May 05, 2003

I'm going to steal the backup feature in it's entirety.  OK?

B#
Monday, May 05, 2003

Thanks Joel.  I appreciate you getting the urgent features out to make current users lives easier.  Plus you made it a no-brainer price wise.  I will try to put www.valleyofthegeeks.com through the upgrade process and use some of the new scripting features to reduce site maintenance.  Even though the image editor is pretty minor, I know it will come in handy as I often need to crop and resize images to make them fit the layout.

--Zack

Zack
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Darren, you've been able to do that since CityDesk 1.

(after today-30)

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

I agree with Darren. CityDesk 2 has a lot of great features & updates, all of them aimed squarely at the things we've been commenting on and complaining about in the forum.

Excellent job guys.

I'm also glad to see CityScript is still being expanded on becuase I could never get my brain wrapped around anything more complicated thatn CityScript. I also like the fact that the UI hasn't changed. The end user might never know what's so special about the new CityDesk.

What also impresses me are the little things that you don't notice when diving right in, like the ability to do backups at any point, and every time you close CD down.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

A couple of comments on the help file.

In "Forcing Links to be Absolute" you don't mention whether or not this works in the template as well. - If so, this could solve Joel Finkel's problem - just use different templates. Does it matter where in the article it appears - top? bottom? in Extra1? What's the behaviour if I put it in Extra1 - does it only affect Extra1, or the entire article?

In the quick reference you don't mention the subfolders feature.

In the quick reference you say that previous/next should be:

{$ nextLink|previousLink n var in (condition) sort $}

What's "n" there?

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Marktaw, I know you can do that stuff with filedDate - what I was asking for was the ability to do it with modifiedDate.

Darren Collins
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

I thought they were all based on the date it was published.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Thanks a lot for listening, it seems like a lot of limitations and annoyancies have been fixed. Also thanks for the great gesture of making it a free upgrade.  And thanks for this iteration before the big, new and best ever CD 3.0

I can hardly wait to try the beta!

Adriaan van den Brand
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home