Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

.abslink - with different extention?

I'm trying to create a link to take the user to the .php version of a page, but {$.abslink$} automatically appends the .html extention from the template.

Any ideas?

i.e. I'm on www.mysite.com/index.html and want to create an automatic link to www.mysite.com/index.php

Is this possible in CityDesk?

Also, if anyone can explain to me how to do the Apache / .htaccess mod rewrite so all my .php files will show up as .html files I'd appreciate it.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, May 02, 2003

Oh, and I added that commenting sytem to my site:

http://www.marktaw.com/index.php

which is why I'm looking to get this working.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, May 02, 2003

nevermind, i got it to work.

for posterity, i turned on php coding for my .html files by putting a .htaccess file in the site root folder with the line:

AddType application/x-httpd-php php php4 php3 html htm

my site now uses the comment system & works with google. I'm happy.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, May 02, 2003

oh, and that old index.php file no longer exists.

just use the regular link to my site http://www.marktaw.com

www.marktaw.com
Friday, May 02, 2003

Very impressive site – layout and all. But negative print! Mark, how could you be so cruel?

Jorgen Brenting
Friday, May 02, 2003

Jorgen - Yeah... well... that design just seemed to click with me. There's a printable version with black on.

But I may switch it around some time in the future if I can find a black on white design / color scheme I like. Maybe I'll go for beige...

www.marktaw.com
Friday, May 02, 2003

* with black on white.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, May 02, 2003

Oh... I figured out the mod-rewrite. It's pretty straightfoward, but it took me a while to get it. I can write about it here if anyone's interested.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 04, 2003

Hey Mark, you can define "mod-rewrite" for me.

Regarding dark backgrounds and white letters:  I enjoy it while I'm there (see Andrewsullivan.com) but when I switch between and dark and light background windows, it really messes with my eyes.

tk
Sunday, May 04, 2003

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I typically work on my site at night.

mod-rewrite lets you map one url to another, so the browser sees:

/showproducts-p43-s1-cat93.htm

but the server sees:

/showproduct.php?product=43&sort=1&thecat=93

it's a lot of work to get your software to create the right kind of links, but this kind of thing can help search engines spider dynamic sites.

You really only need it for dynamic sites, but I thought I could use it to map .html pages to .php pages.

confused yet?

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 04, 2003

marktaw.com revisited ...
Well, I couldn't  forget your site so I went back and took a much more thorough look. What I said above about negative print, I take back in your case. It's all very well balanced. Sorry about my hasty judgement. :o)

Jorgen Brenting
Saturday, May 10, 2003

Why thank you. I spent a lot of work on that color scheme.

I did take your advice and put the "printable version" link in the body at the top.

Thanks for your comments!

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, May 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home