Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Exporting the Site Tree Structure

I've developed several sites with CityDesk, but now I have a slightly different challenge.

I'd like to be able to export a site tree structure for prototyping and translation... in a text format... preferably a tab delimited format.

In this scenario, the index page would come up as row 1/tab 0. The next folder might be row 2/tab 1. It's 1st article might be row 3/tab 2. And so on until the site is explicitly stated as text.

This is done via the Publish function.

But if I could capture the output somehow as text it would be really valuable for me. Right now I'm thinking about Publishing, then using a Directory Capture utility... but that gets a bit awkward.

Any thoughts?

papageno
Wednesday, April 30, 2003

CityDesk 2.0 may have a better way, but the only way I can see to do it using CityDesk 1.0 is using JavaScript. 

CityDeskTemplates.com, http://citydesktemplates.com/Templates/SiteMap.html, has a site map template that uses Javascript to build a site map page, which might be close to what you are looking for.

David Burch
Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Since it's an Access DB under the hood, you could probably just open it in Access and write a macro for it. However, I haven't done this - it's just a thought.

Make backups first though :-)

Sam Strachan
Thursday, May 01, 2003

If you open the .CTY file in Microsoft Access (2000 or later) you'll find the whole data structure you want in a table named tblStructure.

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, May 03, 2003

I would export a simplistic version:

{$.title$}

{$.teaser$}

{$.body$}

{$.sidebar$}

and find a program that stripped HTML tags.

Then found another that could build an index from the directory structure... Or did that merging into CSV you needed.

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, May 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home