Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Aother CityDesk site

It's at www.MarisaMartin.com

This site is built with CityDesk and is in valid XHTML (transitional, admittedly). It takes a slightly different approach, as befits the topic.

I originally attempted a pure CSS tightly-formatted design, but backward compatibility issues (hello, Netscape 4.7/IE5) did that idea in.

It's *mostly* CSS using CSS rollovers ala Eric Meyer and a semi-liquid design, with a couple of layout tables to prevent the design breaking too badly in non-CSS browsers. I have made no attempt to maintain the look there. However, it even works in Lynx/Links. Best results in v6+ browsers, though.

Font (and feature) sizes are large on 800x600 or below as the target audience is (probably) over 50. Target resolution is 800x600+

I did make it work with XHTML despite CityDesk's editor's habits. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do it that way again :-)

Roll on CityDesk 2, I say...

If anyone finds issues on browsers I haven't tried I'd like to hear about it... thanks!

MeJ

James Roberts
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Oops - fulll URL:

http://MarisaMartin.com

or

http://www.MarisaMartin.com

MeJ

James Roberts
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Cool stuff. Must have been a lot of work getting it XHTML compliant...

Adriaan van den Brand
Wednesday, April 23, 2003

<cool stuff> Thanks.

<Must have been a lot of work getting it XHTML compliant>

Some, but I made it easier by using a transitional DTD. The main difficulty was keeping it compliant, because of the (MS) HTML editor's bad habits.

This info will very soon be only of historic interest, but if anyone wants to make (or start) an XHTML site with CityDesk1 here's how I did it:

1. Write a master page with all the formatting, CSS, rollovers etc. the way I want it

2. Get it XHTML compliant

3. Split it into template and body parts

4. Rebuild it and check still compliant

5. Substitute all variables with Citydesk variables from the template fields or constants where appropriate (aka Citydesk 'variables')

6. Build and test still compliant

7. Create the rest of the pages and test, etc.

The only real nuisance factors (which I expect to be mitigated or obsoleted by CD2) were the inability to edit XHTML conformant text in the internal editor, and CD's addition of non-quoted parameters in some circumstances (which is not compliant even with HTML4.1). Oh, and CD's <span></span>-SPAM'ing habits. Editing externally and judicious application of Tidy kept it all clean.

Still, it was something of a pain.

MeJ

James Roberts
Saturday, April 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home