Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Minor Preview Program Bug?

After working through some problems with RTidy/CityDesk, it appears that CityDesk does not pass the URL placeholder (e.g., %1) with quotes, even if there are spaces in it. Thus, if you have:

C:\Documents and Settings\Austin\Desktop\site

Programs will see three arguments: "C:\Documents", "and", and "Settings\Austin\Desktop\site".

I'm inclined to believe that this is a CityDesk bug -- but I'm not sure whether or not this is a program or documentation bug. URLs generally aren't valid with spaces in them. If there are, they should be escaped. But directories should be quoted.

If this is a CityDesk bug, then CityDesk should look at the contents of the argument and attempt to sort out what it is: a URL (then encode the spaces as %20) or a filespec (then wrap the whole thing in quotes).

If this is a documentation bug, then users should be warned to put quotes around %1 if the program is "space sensitive" as most command-line utilities are.

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Thursday, April 17, 2003

You can (and should) put your own quotes around the %1 parameter.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Then this should be updated in the documentation. I don't have a problem doing that, but I don't think the documentation suggests that as a step to take.

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Thursday, April 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home