Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk and Delphi 7/Intraweb

Has anyone tried using CityDesk and the Intraweb Components from AtoZed software (Delphi 7 Enterprise/Architect)? Together they would seem to be an all-conquering uber-website building solution but before I started messing around with it I wondered if anyone else had thought of it and came across any issues with using them together. Its not straightforward to splice the two together (involves, I think, a lot of manual linking and re-addressing after publishing the site locally and then the whole thing has to be FTPeed from a local marshalling point to the server) so before even getting that far I wondered if someone was foolish enough try this already....

Thanks in advance if you have info, thanks anyway if not.

Ivan

Ivan Mannion
Wednesday, April 16, 2003

IntraWeb 6's page mode was designed with this in mind.

IW6 has .IWP files that can be used with page mode, and can be published with CD.

The Atozed Website will be redone using CD and IWP files. Right now it uses CD and we have to hack a lot into CD with HTML hacks and JS to do even simple things.

I do not see any easy way to integrate with page mode, unless you emit the templates using CD and point the IW application at the emitted files.

Chad Z. Hower
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Thanks for the info, I'll try a simple button/edit box page app with a single page CD site and see what happens. It would be very cool if some collaboration went on to get IW and CD to work together seamlessy, individually they seem like great products but together there doesnt seem to be much you couldnt do! Even a fool like me could have a world class site up and running over a weekend....

Thanks again,

Ivan

Ivan Mannion
Friday, April 25, 2003

Well in a month or so, you can see our site (http://www.atozedsoftware.com) converted to IW/CD.

Right now its just CD.

Chad Z. Hower
Friday, April 25, 2003

Okay, I was all over the Atozed site and still have no idea what Intraweb is. Maybe some screen caps & less advertiser jargon would be helpful here.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Advertiser jargon??? 

I do Delphi development for a property consultancy based in UK and recently have been pitched into a lot of web-based stuff that I know bog-all about, Intraweb is a product that lets you develop software as normal but if you use their development tools I can deploy it as a web service without changing the way I work! Its nifty.  I just had a look at the A-Z site, if you look under teh Borland Developer Tools bit you'll find it.

Any chance of a free upgrade to IW6 for all this good PR??? :)

Ivan Mannion
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Ok... maybe some screenshots.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Im not sure what is not understandable about this - better than a screenshot and no matter what path you take you get one of 3 intros (Java, .net, or Delphi).

http://www.atozedsoftware.com/intraweb/intros/Borland.html

Maybe you do not have flash installed?

Chad Z. Hower

That flash thing really helped clear it up for me. "It's Visual Basic for web development."

I really had a hard time visualizing this thing based on what your site was telling me, and I had no idea that flash thing existed. I don't even know how to get to Intro from this page:

http://www.atozedsoftware.com/IntraWeb/

and if that Intro page was meant to be an Intro, it should be just about a screenful of information.

Plus, I still don't know if there's a server side component... I'm assuming there is.

IMHO the site is way too wordy. In the words of editor Sol Stein, you need to "trim the fat."

If it's a "world's first" and a "radical new technology" then I imagine other people will have a problem visualizing it too.

www.marktaw.com

Where did you find the direct link to:
http://www.atozedsoftware.com/IntraWeb/ ?

All the front links lead to the intros.

Our customers are existing Delphi, Java, or .Net users. So the site is targetted at developers, this is probably why it does read well for you.

And yes, it kind of "Visual Basic for the Web".

Chad Z. Hower
Saturday, May 03, 2003

Well... I probably read some of the intro text and then clicked on a link.... that flash thingy is a couple of page lengths down.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 04, 2003

Hmm. Should we move the flash items up?

Chad Z. Hower
Monday, May 05, 2003

Absolutely. Or give it it's own page & put a link to it from the main navigation. "Flash Tour"

www.marktaw.com
Monday, May 05, 2003

Ive moved it up.

Chad Z. Hower
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Chad, do you know what your site looks like in an 800 x 600 browser? I keep my browser at 800 x 600 so I can have multiple windows on the screen and move them around. Plus when i develop I want to make sure it works for 800 x 600... I guess you could argue that most developers have the latest and greatest monitors, but there are a lot of things that are way off the right / bottom of the page for me when I first open it.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home