Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Newbee question:sftp & importing web site...

Hi,

I've been trying to find a decent CMS system, and I've come across a whole lot of server side CMSes that seem to be quite specialized in terms of learning how to install, modify, and update them.

I've just started playing with City Desk to see if it will suite my needs and its pretty slick.  I was wondering if some of you might help clarify the following:

1.  For all of the content that I write via the article mechanism - is there a way to put it in a neutral format (i.e. XML type)?  My thinking is that I want to write the article once and then be able to transform it via xsl or some other mechanism to whatever my needs may be (even storage via a simple csv format - like excell type)

2.  There is currently no secure ftp option...does anyone know if this is in the works?  I can create tunnels to my ISP, but it would be a whole lot simpler to have a built in sftp client (and more consistent with CD's simplicity)

3.  I followed the import a folder from disk instructions - where I imported a web site that I used to use (simple pages - basic html).  The import seemed to work fine, but I couldn't figure out how I could convert the pages to articles - or tag them in such a way that they're recognized as articles....does anyone have any ideas regarding this?

Thanks for your help.

Eli

Eli
Monday, April 14, 2003

On questions three:

Telepark's file import utility uses FTP to import into CityDesk
http://www.telepark.de/html/en/unterseiten/citydesk-ftp.html

Mikes CopyBoy has helped a lot of folks:
http://www.larkware.com/Products/LarkwareCopyBoy.html

My problem with the "drag a folder" import is that you don't get articles or magic names, as you'd hope.  Copyboy should help with that.

tk
Monday, April 14, 2003

1. you can enter it in plain text mode, but there's no way to convert it to HTML then. You can modify the styles via CSS, and maybe do a regular expression search/replace to remove HTML tags to produce a plaintext version.

Oh yeah, there are tools that will strip HTML from text files... Look for one on download.com or webattack.com

www.marktaw.com
Monday, April 14, 2003

Hi,

- Telepark's utility seems to be using ftp not secure ftp (sftp)...am I missing something here?

- Content wise - it sounds like I'm still stuck with a proprietary format - i.e. CD's format

Thanks for the help.

Eli

Eli
Monday, April 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home