Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

A Call To Arms (other CityDesk users)

This idea has been running around inside my tiny head for years. With CityDesk and the user base here it seems to me that it would work rather well.

It has to do with the fact that *one* of the ways search engines rank a site is by relative links. Meaning, how many sites are linked to your site. My idea was born when I joined the Webposition dealer program. What they do is to basically generate a bunch of pages that looks like their site and contains your site name within the pages. You then copy this to your Web site in order to market and sell their product, WebPosition Gold.

My idea is similiar, yet has nothing to do with a "dealer" program, instead just a way to get our sites linked from many other sites with unique domain names and IP numbers.

With CityDesk it would be a breeze.

Here's how it would work (how I see it anyway):

1. CityDesk users create a bunch of pages marketing their service, product, blog, whatever you want to "be known".
The pages would look and feel like your site.

2. They then publish them to a single directory with relative links and links to your site.

3. This directory (or mini Web site) can be zipped and traded with other CityDesk users who have done the same thing.

4. Each trading partner then copies the directory within their domain and notifies the partner.

5. Each partner can then list this "mini Web site" to the search engines.

I would be willing to write a Web based trading partner program which would track the partners and ensure that no one uploads their mini Web site without reciprocating.

I currently have between 5 and 10 Web sites that I can list partners to.

How does this sound?

Any down side?

If you are interested in this great ;) idea please let me know either here or offline.

John Cesta
(the little men in the big sea)

JOhn Cesta
Thursday, April 10, 2003

The down-sides that I see are that 1) Search engines like Google are constantly discovering these types of things and penalizing a site's search engine rankings because of them, and 2) they add no content or other valuable experience to the readers of my web site.

David Burch
Thursday, April 10, 2003

I'm with JOhn on this one.

And I'm the guy who created the "my domain name as my name" phenomenon that's swept... uh ok a couple of other people do it now.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, April 10, 2003

Err. I'm with David on this one... whooops

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, April 10, 2003

yep, is penalized.

all started with "go to hell" link :)

Regards.

Roberto
Friday, April 11, 2003

The best way to get up in the search engines is :
- create good and clear content
- link and be linked to/from related pages

Citydesk can really help here. But not by creating link farms!

B.t.w. I have noticed that self-links  (e.g. a logo to your home page on every page) help too. This is available to everyone...

Getting linked from the citydesk pages helps too!!

Adriaan van den Brand
Friday, April 11, 2003

Don't forget, anyone who has a site created with CityDesk can email me their URL, and I'll add it to the CityDesk FAQ:
http://www.pool-room.com/CDFAQ/help/index.html#made

That'll increase your link count by 1 :-).

Darren Collins
Sunday, April 13, 2003

Me too:

http://tk-jk.net/city/Articles/OtherCityDeskSites.html

tk
Sunday, April 13, 2003

Hey Darren, you have my site as a non-profit, but it's a personal site: www.marktaw.com

And prosoundreview can be described as "user reviews of pro audio gear" or at least that's how I describe it.

And the by should be "by Mark Wieczorek"

www.marktaw.com
Monday, April 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home