Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

A linux alternative to CityDesk?

Shalom,

Someone has asked me to recommend a simple yet powerful web development tool. I said : "CityDesk" and then he said : Oh, I run Linux.

Does anybody here know a tool that does approximately what CutyDesk does but runs on Linux?

Thanks

p.s. No, switching is not an option and I am too tired for OS wars, thank you.

Hanan Cohen
Wednesday, April 09, 2003

I have heard rumors that you can get citydesk to run with some of the wine like libraries available.  I haven't tested this personally, but folks here would be eager to find out if its true.

--Zack

Zack

I know of no other product like CityDesk for the price.  The only other content management systems I know of are server based.

The easiest might be article manager from http://www.interactivetools.com/products/articlemanager/.  It's cost is about the same as CityDesk.

There is also OpenACS, http://openacs.org, phpnuke, Bricolage, SquishDot and a number of other server-based options depending on what the requirements are.

David Burch

Just to clarify...

CityDesk will publish to a Linux/Unix server won't it? I think so. FTP is FTP.

Speaking of Article Manager I have review of it at:

http://www.lookwww.com/artman/publish/article_15.html

It's ok, but it is not like CityDesk in that it is server based and articles are created on the server. It must be installed on the server as well, of course. It is good for a global content manager where multiple authors can contrbute 24x7.

I suppose if you organized CD you could provide the same functionality.

John Cesta

JOhn Cesta

Yes CityDesk will post to a web site running on Linux.  CityDesk should be able to post to any web server.

David Burch
Thursday, April 10, 2003

I'm running CityDesk on Linux using Win4Lin.

Yes this is a bodge-up.

It also works.

Access(Jet)+WINE is a bit flaky, IMHO.

I do not know of anything else as neat as CityDesk for many tasks, despite its limitations.

MeJ

James Roberts
Thursday, April 10, 2003

"I do not know of anything else as neat as CityDesk for many tasks, despite its limitations."

This is about the most honest assesment of CityDesk I've read. It's exactly how I feel as well. I would leave out the part about, ..."despite its limitations."  Sometimes its limitations are its stength. Bugs is one thing, elegant is another (the html editor needs work).

But, I can see a new version coming soon. ;)

John Cesta

JOhn Cesta
Thursday, April 10, 2003

<I would leave out the part about, ..."despite its limitations."  Sometimes its limitations are its stength. >

Nope. They are limitations.

1. I work in XHTML1.0 Graah!
2. I publish to site using SSH/SCP

The (MS!) HTML editor (and the <Published by citydesk...> preamble) breaks XHTML, and the publishing only provides for FTP. In 2003? <coff>

It's *still* my best bet though...

MeJ

James Roberts
Sunday, April 13, 2003

MeJ:

If you prefer XHTML, you can use RTidy/CityDesk to make your pages XHTML compliant (I do): http://www.halostatue.ca/ruby/RTidyCD.html

Austin Ziegler
Sunday, April 13, 2003

Hi Austin,

you'll think me dumb but I just can't get it to work (tried three times since the first build you sent me) - and since I'm always in a hurry, I'm just using TidyUI and the current build of TidyLib.

What I tend to do is, in any case, slightly different to the way you have RTidyCD set up - I do this:

1. Build the site to a directory
2. Lint it with CSE 'Validator' Lite + fix
3. 'Tidy' it
4. W3C Validate it + fix
5. Cut'n'paste the validated body code back into the CityDesk HTML editor (the template and constants (err... 'variables') are valid XHTML)
6. Publish
2. Again
3. Again
7. Test in IE5, 5.5., 6, Opera 5,6,7, Mozilla 1.01, Konqueror, with/without CSS, etc.
8. No errors? Then activate my macro to leave out comments and repeat else 1.
9. Still no errors?

Then strip the <Published by Fog...> stuff and SCP it to the site.

else back to 1.

Yes this is probably perverse.

But  it's what I'm doing.

MeJ

James Roberts
Sunday, April 13, 2003

After a small amount of trial & error and a few kicks in the rear from Austin to ram home the obvious :-]

now have RTidyCD working just fine.

Everyone should <coff> use either a Linter or a Validator or Tidy on their code: RTidyCD is a good way to start doing that.

MeJ

James Roberts
Sunday, April 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home