Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature Request: Version Control

CityDesk is currently a content management system without version control.  Version control is needed to ensure that articles can be recovered if an article or a portion of an article is wiped out.

Version control is especially important when using multiple copies of CityDesk Professional.  I would hate to sell a company N copies of CityDesk and have to tell them on a support call, "You lost your only copy of [important document content] because Edward saved before Alfonso."

David Burch
Friday, April 04, 2003

Related feature request: a kind of "check in check out" feature, ensuring edward and alfonso don't work at the same time on the same entry, would be useful (but not on my primary wish list).

Vincent Bénard
Friday, April 04, 2003

www.12ghosts.com

I use their backup program on all my important documents, especially my .cty file.

Someone on this forum mentioned it to me a while back. It works like a charm.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, April 04, 2003

Backups are not same as version control.

David Burch
Sunday, April 06, 2003

No, but you can get something back from the past with backups. It's more difficult, but it can be done.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, April 07, 2003

Plus, this is something you can do right now.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, April 07, 2003

Backups are all well and good as a fail-safe strategy, and I already have your recommendation in place.  But "Getting something back" from backups is not something I want to do, which is the point of this feature request.

I would like CityDesk to actually have the version control features commonly found in other content management software: The ability to have different versions of the same document, be able to flag a version as the current version, roll-back the changes to a previous version, purge all previous versions but the current one, etc.

Phillip Greenspun is a lot more eloquent at stating what a content management system should be: http://philip.greenspun.com/internet-application-workbook/content-management

If this feature does not make it into CityDesk's next version, so be it.  But, I think it is a feature that CityDesk needs to really be able to call itself a content management system.

David Burch
Monday, April 07, 2003

I don't disagree with you, but if you have a need right now then you need to fill it right now.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, April 07, 2003

The best article on "version control" is not often mentioned. Unfortunately, it is clear that most version control systems and CMS were written without thinking about the issues mentioned:

Peter van den Hamer & Kees Lepoeter (1996) Managing Design Data: The Five Dimensions of CAD Frameworks, Configuration Management, and Product Data Management,
Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 84, No 1

Stephan Eggermont
Monday, April 14, 2003

Stephan, any chance of getting a breif bullet-point summary out of you? Or is this post designed to get the fog guys to dig deep into their public libraries?

www.marktaw.com
Monday, April 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home