Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

CityDesk froze in my Win 2000 Chineses version

I got Joel's message that "We don't officially support any non - Latin1 languages for this version".  But I installed CityDesk in my machine before I read that message. 
This surprised me a little bit because I didn't get any warning during my installation process ( the installation was so smooth that made my first fear of OS version language incompatibility disappeared ) nor anything about OS language compatibility issue mentioned in help files.
After reading the help files ( system requirement and tutorials ), I

1. created a new site ( clicking the New button and save as a .cty file ).
2. Then I tried to open my newly created .cty file ( clicking the Open button of CityDesk software ),
3. and CityDesk froze immediately.
4.  I have to use the Ctrl+Alt+Del to kill the CityDesk process.

1. Then I tried to open my .cty file by double clicking the .cty directly,
2. and I will get a Bug reporting dialog asking me to send the bug report to FogCreek. 
3. I did by clicking the Send button then the dialog showed the message "Please wait while we transfer the info to our server". 
4. But the bug reporting dialog never disappears unless I click "Cancel".  So I am not sure whether you got my report message or not.

I read the discussion board and found no one had the same problem I got, so I think it highly possible that it's my OS language problem ( Did anyone try Non-English OS? ).
In case my thinking is wrong and the message "We don't officially support any non - Latin1 languages for this version" means ONLY publishing/displaying  non-Latin character will cause problem in CityDesk ( not OS language version ), I posted the report messaged here as well:

V.1.0 Out of stack space:28
frmMain:S AddRecentlyOpenedSitesToMenu:1020
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 2000 DC Version 5.0 SP2 ( build 2195 )
IE version: Internet Explorer 6.0.2600

Suggestion:
I will feel better if
1. CityDesk can give me warning message before I install CityDesk ( or prevent me from installing ) on incompatible OS language version.

2. Write a warning comment down in help files. ( system requirement ).  And of course, I need to read the system requirement help file BEFORE I install CityDesk.

Wen Lai
Sunday, November 18, 2001

This sounds like a legit bug; we'll look into it. Are you using Traditional or Simplified Chinese?

Joel Spolsky

By the way, we have seen CityDesk working in Hebrew Win 2K and we have beta testers who are using French and Greek Win 2K. I'm not sure if anyone has tried Chinese besides you.

Joel Spolsky

I am using Traditional Chinese.

Wen Lai

One of our developers thinks that we may have a bug that's caused when you run CityDesk without write permission on the user settings part of the registry. We try to store settings in <HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fog Creek Software\CityDesk> ... it turns out if you can't write things there, we have a bad infinite loop.

We'll fix this, of course -- can you think of any reason why we would be having trouble writing to this registry key on your machine? (Perhaps in Chinese Windows the "Software" section doesn't exist, or perhaps you've just write-protected the registry on your computer).

Joel Spolsky

Looks like the bug is related to the fact that Desktop on Chinese Windows is actually the chinese character for Desktop and it doesn't get written to the registry correctly.  Moving the .cty file to a latin path fixed the problem temporarily.

Michael Pryor

I have no idea about the write-protected registry.  I don't even know how to make it write-protected.
But actually the path was written in my "Software" registry. 
I always use administrator account to test CityDesk.

Wen Lai
Monday, November 19, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home