Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

problem with CSS and image

In CityDesk, I type the text body and do an insert image (align right with text.)

The image does not show in normal window size. However, if I resize to a smaller window size,  I found that the image hides behind the text.

The text uses the following style:
.content {
    position:relative;
    width:auto;
    min-width:120px;
    margin:0px 210px 20px 170px;
    border:1px solid black;
    background-color:white;
    padding:10px;
    z-index:3;
}

How can I resolve this? I am trying to transit to a "tableless" site.

slok
Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Too many errors with browser rendering for CSS . . . keep with tables for awhile . . .

The Other Ryan

This piece of CSS does exactly what you describe (make text boxed and above other items).

What is your intention?
I would suggest to place the image in a CSS box and have the text float around it. At least remove the z-index=3 in your piece of code. That may help.

If you don't know CSS: find out a good resource or stick to tables. I do use CSS, and my biggest problem with boxed floating elements etc. is that they work fine but have side effects when the window is too small.

Adriaan van den Brand

I would second Ryan's comment: forget "table-less" CSS layout, except for the most simple of tasks. Its amazingly worthless. You would be wasting hours and hours of development time trying to work-around cross-browser issues, and fail. And we are not talking about IE6 vs. NS4 problems, rather IE5 to IE6 to Opera 7 and the like.

Its a shame, but good ol' tables are still the most economic and safe way to go.

Patrick

PS: Yes we are currently redesigning our own site back to tables too :-)

Patrick Thomas
Thursday, April 03, 2003

I do use CSS, with extreme care though. It is nice for the fancy details (like fonts, small positioning, bullet lists, printable versions); I don't use it for the main layout for the reasons mentioned by the others here.

Adriaan van den Brand
Thursday, April 03, 2003

My site ( http://www.halostatue.ca ) uses XHTML+CSS layout entirely. I believe that it works on all browsers at this point, although there are subtle variations when viewed on different browser. I *think* I've fixed the WinIE5 display problem...

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Thursday, April 03, 2003

http://www.halostatue.ca cause the text in the nav to spill out of the boxes on Mozilla 1.3

Matthew Lock
Friday, April 04, 2003

Not at 1024x768, certainly. I know it happens at 768x1024 (I'm using a Tablet PC); I haven't had time to deal with that, yet. But I don't plan on switching back to a table-based layout.

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Saturday, April 05, 2003

It happens too with IE6 at 1024x768, but resizing the windows a few pixels larger solves it. So I think the margins are too tight...

Same for NS7

Adriaan

Adriaan van den Brand
Saturday, April 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home