Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature Request: Insert variables from pulldown

David Burch wants this (I think this is so good it deserves its own topic, so it doesn't get lost as the 34th post in the original thread):

I would like the ability to allow end-users to insert variable content from a pull-down list of variables names on the toolbar.

CityDesk scripting has a very strange syntax to both programmers and non-programmers.  Having to type {$.VariableName$} instead of selecting VariableName from a list which inserts {$.VariableName$} (or the contents of {$.VariableName$}) leads to many errors and increased customer support.

Thomas Eyde
Monday, March 31, 2003

Thomas,

That goes along with the programmable toolbar... select from a dropdown, choose one of x things to insert. Such as:

Insert navigation
- bullet point
- table
- paragraph/bold headline

www.marktaw.com
Monday, March 31, 2003

Don't forget "pulldown" keywords.

tk
Monday, March 31, 2003

Well... as long as you're creating a pulldown to insert a variable, it might as well insert other citycode as well... in my mind it's the same functionality from two different points of view.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, March 31, 2003

TK,

That's a great idea.  Pull-down keywords would help ensure only valid keywords were entered as well as helping one remember which keywords were in use for a navigation system.

David Burch
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Oh keywords... Yeah that is a good idea. Plus the ability to add keywords to the list.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

but the downside: at some time the users won't know how it works anymore. However, an automaticly inserted {$.variable$} van be sc**ed up by adding a space or something. As long as you can not prevent this from happening I think it may also be dangerous...

personally I would prefer the option for a quick cityscript consistency check at save/publish/preview time. (check for balanced {$ $} in just the article and the existence of the referred variables).

Adriaan van den Brand
Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Just to be clear.  I am suggesting that the ability to manually place variables in an article be removed, just a way to make it easier for end users to insert a variable without screwing it up.

David Burch

Oops, that should have read "I am NOT suggesting..."
That really cleared things up, huh?

David Burch

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home